PDA

View Full Version : Filtered air pumped into a 3m helmet?

Alan Zenreich
12-18-2010, 5:47 PM
Does anyone here recall seeing a thread about a guy who hooked up a Hunter air purification unit to a 3m helmet? I'm not sure it was on SawmillCreek.

My wife uses a 3M Breathe Easy with a waist pack and helmet.

I picked up an extra helmet yesterday and would consider rigging it to a filtered air supply.

However, I can't remember where I saw the discussion... and searching all the forums I frequent has come up empty. So I thought someone else might remember seeing it, and where it was located.

I've done some experimenting with an Oreck air purifier, but it doesn't have enough air flow... so it would be great to track down someone who's already done this.

That's the trouble with visiting so many forums... it becomes a blur!

allen thunem
12-18-2010, 7:55 PM
i think you will find that info in aaw
saw it in one of the aaw magazines it was quite a set up

Alan Zenreich
12-18-2010, 9:16 PM
Thanks, but this was a discussion thread that included the model number of the air purifier he used, where to get it, price of additional filters, etc.

I just double checked the AAW forum... doesn't appear to be there. Someone will likely remember it.

Alan Zenreich
12-18-2010, 9:27 PM
I finally tracked it down. It was on WOW, in a photo gallery. No wonder it didn't come up in searches.

Joe Adams
12-19-2010, 12:34 AM
And the answer is? Please share.

Alan Zenreich
12-19-2010, 7:12 AM
If you are a WOW member, look for Eugen Schlaak's photo of his Racal air filter modification dated 12/3/2010. Like Eugen, I'll be hooking it up to a Hunter HR30250 air purifier (this discontinued, but cost effective, HEPA unit has 350cfm air flow).

I'll post a complete set of photos when I finish a similar setup in my shop.

Steve Harder
12-19-2010, 9:26 AM
I use a slightly different approach. I placed a cheap bathroom vent fan in an adjacent room - fitted a reducer, and using black sump pump hose I pipe the air to my lathe location. I put a small furnace filter over input to fan. It's not HEPA, but compared to what I was breathing and having itchy eyes, it's a huge improvement. I also went DIY on the hood, it's a faceplate with a ripstop cloth shroud that is taped on.

ray hampton
12-19-2010, 12:20 PM
What to Do with the exhale air after we inhale the oxygen ? is it vented to the outside of your mask, I am unsure how to equipped my oxygen tank for a dust-free mask----buying a unit [factory-build] costs too much

Jake Helmboldt
12-19-2010, 3:11 PM
the positive pressure resulting from the supplied air (not oxygen) will exhaust any exhaled air.

ray hampton
12-19-2010, 5:42 PM
maybe a Oxygen tank is bad idea unless I set the psi between 5 to 10