View Full Version : What do I need?

Tom Winship
12-18-2010, 5:23 PM
I have a Jet 1236 lathe which I have turned things between centers on. I have done mostly flat work and recently bought a set of collet chucks to turn shaker drawer pulls with. I have made a couple dozen pens over the last month or so and now feel like I would like to make the jump into turning bowls. (I'm sure after that I would like to do HF work, etc.)

Other than the centers, I have a face plate that came with the lathe. Can you help with the minimum things I would need to add (A chuck for sure. Which one?) What else.

Scott Hackler
12-18-2010, 5:30 PM
If you have a faceplate you dont, technically, need a chuck. Its a lot easier, but a bowl can be turned with a face plate and a waste block glued to the good wood. The chuck is the prefered method for me and others, but I concider it a luxury. I use a SuperNova2 and it works very well. Keep in mind that most chucks require (at additional cost) an insert to fit the threads on your lathe.

Other than what you've got, I would suggest 2 bowl gouges. A 1/2" for roughing and hogging out the inside and a 3/8" for final delicate cuts. DO NOT TRY TO TURN A BOWL WITH A SPINDLE GOUGE. Big no no.

Other than that and some sand paper, you should be able to turn a bowl in no time.

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2010, 7:01 PM
Ditto what Scott said. A chuck is not a must but it sure does make things easier for sure.

Doug W Swanson
12-18-2010, 8:32 PM
I've got a Barracuda chuck from PSI and it's worked well for me. $170 or so on Amazon and it comes with a few sets of jaws.

A chuck certainly makes things easier!

Jim Burr
12-18-2010, 8:35 PM
Same Barracuda with 4 jaw sets...think I caught a sale for $140. Not just for bowls, but for everything else. Except for pens...it's indispensable...not just the 'cuda, but any chuck in general.

James Combs
12-18-2010, 8:42 PM
I have a Super Nova 2 and a couple of Nova G3's. I haven't heard anything bad about any of the brands so decide on one you like but once you decide then stick with that brand. In most cases the jaws are interchangeable between the various models in the same brand. Some of the different brands are interchangeable also but that is a different thread.