PDA

View Full Version : Bulls-eye Products

Ted Daigle
01-05-2005, 6:38 AM
This is a newbie question so please bear with me. I'm getting ready to do a project and finish with shellac. I've never used shellac before so I was wondering if there was difference between mixing my own from flakes or just using the pre-mixed Bulls-eye stuff on the shelf at Lowe's. Also, has anyone ever tried out the Bulls-eye french polish stuff they sell at woodcraft? Thanks for any help you can offer on this.

Kurt Aebi
01-05-2005, 8:05 AM
The difference is pretty much the "pound cut" or concentration of shellac vs. alcohol for thefinal formulation. I am not sure what the "cut" is on th estore bought pre-mixed stuff, but I have used the Bulls-Eye Clear (Blonde) and Amber with good results on jewelry boxes and other display boxes. I have not used the "French Polish" type.

With the flakes & alcohol, you have absolute control over the formulation and probably will have a more pure concoction than that of the pre-packaged as the y probably have many more ingredients to give it a longer shelf life.

I hope I was at least a little helpful to you.

Keith Hall
01-05-2005, 9:57 AM
Ted, the Bulls Eye blond shellac sold at Lowes is a three lb. cut. The back of the label tells how to convert the three lb cut to a two or a one lb cut. The brochure "Bulls Eye Shellac" should be hanging next to the product. It is very informative. Good luck, Keith :)

Ed Hardin
01-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Ted, the other big advantage for flakes is that you can mix only the amount you will need and not waste premix.