PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Barracuda2 chuck? and what is your assessment of it please

Don Alexander
12-18-2010, 4:02 PM
needing to get a chuck and i don't trust product reviews on anybodies website where they are selling the reviewed product (call me skeptical). therefore i turn to the 1 place that i know i will get an unvarnished appraisal

thanks in advance for your input (keep in mind that my pockets aren't deep at all)

Rick Hutcheson
12-18-2010, 4:04 PM
I have 2 of them and they work good. Not quite as smooth as the Talon but not near the cost either. I have 3 Talons too. For the price I think they are well worth the money.

Duff Bement
12-18-2010, 4:40 PM
I have the Barracuda 4 that I use on my conover and I think it's great. I just blow dust out with air compressor and it's good to go. After christmas I am going to buy another blank chuck for the other sets of jaws. In my opinion they can't be beat for the price.

Jake Helmboldt
12-18-2010, 6:09 PM
Don, I have the Barracuda 2 and a Oneway Talon. The cuda is, for the money, a lot of chuck and mine has zero runout. But there are some things to consider:
1. the jaws are unique to it, so they won't fit other chucks, and vice versa. That limits you to the jaws that PSI sells, but it comes with several sets of jaws, so you aren't too limited.
2. the bigger issue is that there is no insert; it is machined for a 1"-8tpi spindle. When I got a new lathe I bought a PSI adapter which has worked fine, but I would prefer an insert like most other chucks have.

Bernie W. has several of the Grizzly clones of the Vicmarc which will accept all of the Vic jaws (a very wide variety) and he likes them. That might be a good option for an affordable setup.

David T gray
12-18-2010, 6:35 PM
no runout on mine i only use it with big jaws to remove the tenon works great. always gets really stuck and hard to remove compared to oneway stronghold which always comes off easy.

Kelvin Burton
12-18-2010, 6:45 PM
I have one, it's my only chuck. I bought it on Amazon last Christmas. Came with 3 sets of jaws and screw, I added the Jumbo jaws. So far it's done everything I needed it to, and at a great price!

Doug W Swanson
12-18-2010, 8:22 PM
I've had the Barracuda for 2 years and it works great for me. It's nice because it comes with a bunch of jaws, too.....

Jim Burr
12-18-2010, 8:28 PM
I have one and don't use anything else. 4 sets of jaws and it handles everything I throw at it. Great chuck and extras for the $$

Brian Brown
12-18-2010, 11:09 PM
I have a Barracuda 2, and it is a really good chuck but not a really great chuck. It is really nice that it comes with so many sets of jaws, however, given the choice, I wouldn't buy one again. Why? Check this. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Apprentice___Apprentice_Chuck___apprentic e_chuck?Args= It is essentially the same as the 'cuda, but slightly larger, and most importantly it has an integrated back plate that the 'cuda doesn't have. The plate keeps the sawdust out , and you don't have to keep cleaning it. It also has the old style four sided chuck key, instead of the type that you have to stick deep inside the chuck. Money wise, it is about the same, and it comes with the same jaws as the PSI. Also, the jaws are 100% interchangeable with the PSI chuck. One other reason to buy from CS... customer service at PSI is hit and miss, but CSUSA is the best.

David T gray
12-18-2010, 11:33 PM
I have a Barracuda 2, and it is a really good chuck but not a really great chuck. It is really nice that it comes with so many sets of jaws, however, given the choice, I wouldn't buy one again. Why? Check this. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Apprentice___Apprentice_Chuck___apprentic e_chuck?Args= It is essentially the same as the 'cuda, but slightly larger, and most importantly it has an integrated back plate that the 'cuda doesn't have. The plate keeps the sawdust out , and you don't have to keep cleaning it. It also has the old style four sided chuck key, instead of the type that you have to stick deep inside the chuck. Money wise, it is about the same, and it comes with the same jaws as the PSI. Also, the jaws are 100% interchangeable with the PSI chuck. One other reason to buy from CS... customer service at PSI is hit and miss, but CSUSA is the best.

but cuda can do so many more things.

Rick Prosser
12-18-2010, 11:36 PM
It is the only chuck I have, and seems to be a good deal for the money.

Dennis Puskar
12-19-2010, 12:01 AM
The only chuck I have is the Barracuda 2 and I have no complaints.

Don Alexander
12-19-2010, 12:01 AM
thanks for all the replies i appreciate the candid reviews

but cuda can do so many more things

ok i'll bite ........... like what things ? :)

Fred Perreault
12-19-2010, 8:53 AM
My first chuck was the Barracuda 2 from PSI. My only complaint is the geared key for tightening.... it is not an easy way to tighten a chuck. In the last 2+ years I have had the B2 chuck, I have also bought the Supernova 2 and the Sorby Patriot chucks. I'd have to say that the PSI chuck is the truest running of the 3, with by far the least runout. The Sorby is second best. I am not sure of the reason for this. I am not impressed with the seemingly light duty threaded insert for the SN2. The walls of the SN2 insert are so thin (for the 1.25" spindle) that the internal and external threads seem to almost meet. I contacted Teknatool soon after I got the chuck, but they said that "they are all like that". It is the least beefy insert I have ever seen.

Curt Fuller
12-19-2010, 9:03 AM
I sure like mine. I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

Bill Blasic
12-19-2010, 9:27 AM
I sure don't undestand why the thickness means anything. When it is on the spindle it is now one mass that acts as one. I have about 8 Nova Chucks that use the 1 1/4" insert and the insert is a non factor other than getting the L insert that has the locking grub screw that I recommend for all machines that have reverse capability. I myself believe that you cannot go wrong if you buy one of the big three: Nova, Oneway and Vicmarc, I would not buy out of that circle. Hey just my two pennies.
Bill

Fred Perreault
12-19-2010, 6:30 PM
Bill, I guess that maybe real or imagined, an insert that has internal and external threads that was machined leaving 3/8" or more thick walls is more substantial, apt to be more true and prone to be distorted less than an insert that has less than 1/16" at it's thinnest dimension. I don't apply a lot of torque to the inserts, but it just seems that more mass could make for a more reliable product. In any event, I use all 3 chucks successfully.

Don Alexander
12-19-2010, 6:54 PM
seems like the overwhelming majority really like this chuck

thanks everyone much appreciated