PDA

View Full Version : Monster System

Ray Bell
12-18-2010, 2:33 PM
Well with the encouragement of John, and David, and a very informative email from John this morning I finally got the Monster put together. Amazingly, I only have about a dozen parts left over still laying on my bench:). Actually I think these are just extra set screws, washers, and screws Randy just throws in.

I have to say this is a very nicely designed and machined piece of equipment. Also the way Randy packages the hardware, with matching parts made this a breeze to put together.

I am excited to try this now, but I think I will order a bed extension for my lathe. The Monster is large.174320174321174322

Jim Burr
12-18-2010, 2:42 PM
Saaweet!!! Your gonna love it Ray!!! I just finished a HF yesterday with mine and may go start another because I'm excited for you!

David DeCristoforo
12-18-2010, 2:43 PM
Way to go! You are going to love this system!!!!!!!

Paul Douglass
12-18-2010, 2:51 PM
Ray, you make me sick!

This is just a very disguised sick gloat!:mad::(:);)

Ray Bell
12-18-2010, 3:11 PM
Ray, you make me sick!

Aw, comon Paul, I didn't begrudge you your new deisel truck. Besides, you know you are welcome to use this anytime.

robert raess
12-18-2010, 3:55 PM
Ray, you make me sick!

Is this made more for hollow forms? Does this seem to reduce catches? thanks rob

Rich Aldrich
12-18-2010, 3:57 PM
Congratulations. One day, I will own one also. I saw Steve's when he showed me his lathe. It looks like a real well built piece of equipment.

Baxter Smith
12-18-2010, 4:00 PM
Figures that this would be the first post I see after just going through the bottom of an apple HF.:) Looks like a very nice setup! Congrats on getting it together!

Dale Bright
12-18-2010, 4:01 PM
Nice gloat Ray, the Monster is a great system. I think you will benefit from adding the bed extension, as you will get some more movement and versatility.

Dale

Richard Madden
12-18-2010, 4:17 PM
Congrats on the Monster. I'll bet you're gonna love it! Keep us posted.

John Keeton
12-18-2010, 4:22 PM
Ray, looks great!! I think you are ready to go to work now!

Is this made more for hollow forms? Does this seem to reduce catches? thanks robRobert, yes this system is for hollowing, and goes a long way toward eliminating catches. Ray has the captured system. It can be used for hollowing deeper than the articulated system, which is limited to about 9" or so. I have not used the captured system, but the articulated system is super sweet, as I am sure is the case with this one. Put it on your list! You will be getting one soon.;)

tom martin
12-18-2010, 4:30 PM
You guys are killing me!!!!!I've been on Randy's site three times this week! You know "just checking it out" but we all know where THAT road leads!
Thanks alot,
Tom

Scott Hackler
12-18-2010, 5:36 PM
lalalalala fingers still in my ears...... I got to stop clicking on the "Monster" threads! You guys are enablers!

Bob Haverstock
12-18-2010, 5:53 PM
Hi Ray,
I have a similar hollowing setup, I can go about 16 inches deep with mine. I have a Nova 1624 and I added a hinge and bed extention to it . (the bed extention was part of the lathe pachage when I bought it). The hinge and extention are great additions, it is so nice to jut push the banjo and tailstock onto the extention, open the hinge, and add the steady rest. Close the hinge, lock it, and you ready to go. I know that you will enjoy it.

Merry Christmas
Bob Haverstock

QUOTE=Ray Bell;1587594]Well with the encouragement of John, and David, and a very informative email from John this morning I finally got the Monster put together. Amazingly, I only have about a dozen parts left over still laying on my bench:). Actually
I am excited to try this now, but I think I will order a bed extension for my lathe. The Monster is large.174320174321174322[/QUOTE]

Paul Douglass
12-18-2010, 5:59 PM
Aw, comon Paul, I didn't begrudge you your new deisel truck. Besides, you know you are welcome to use this anytime.

Oh alright, I'm happy for you... ah, you aren't going to get to use my new-to-me-but-not-new truck. Well maybe...

Ray Bell
12-18-2010, 6:19 PM
Hi Ray,
I have a similar hollowing setup, I can go about 16 inches deep with mine. I have a Nova 1624 and I added a hinge and bed extention to it . (the bed extention was part of the lathe pachage when I bought it). The hinge and extention are great additions, it is so nice to jut push the banjo and tailstock onto the extention, open the hinge, and add the steady rest. Close the hinge, lock it, and you ready to go. I know that you will enjoy it.

Merry Christmas
Bob Haverstock

QUOTE=Ray Bell;1587594]Well with the encouragement of John, and David, and a very informative email from John this morning I finally got the Monster put together. Amazingly, I only have about a dozen parts left over still laying on my bench:). Actually
I am excited to try this now, but I think I will order a bed extension for my lathe. The Monster is large.174320174321174322[/QUOTE]

Bob, would the hinged extension work on a flat surfaced lathe stand like mine? Does it swing away from you, or towards you?

Thanks, Ray

Ray Bell
12-18-2010, 6:33 PM
Oh alright, I'm happy for you... ah, you aren't going to get to use my new-to-me-but-not-new truck. Well maybe...

Please Paul, can I borrow it.... I only have a ton of gravel, and a couple of loads of manure to haul:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2010, 6:56 PM
Congrats Ray. You are going to love it. Yes Randy does stick extra parts in.

Michael James
12-18-2010, 7:37 PM
Nice going Ray, and just in time for Christmas! I don't get to use my mini as much as I'd like to but when I do, Im glad I have it! With that system you'll be doin the big honkin chunks of hollowness. Enjoy.
mj

Bob Haverstock
12-18-2010, 7:47 PM
Hi Ray,

Yes, I think it would work, but I would put one sixteenth inch shims under the corners of the lathe. This would allow the extention to swing without rubbing the bench top. The extention swings away from me. ( I hope this post this time)

Bob Haverstock

Bob, would the hinged extension work on a flat surfaced lathe stand like mine? Does it swing away from you, or towards you?

Thanks, Ray[/QUOTE]

Bill Bolen
12-18-2010, 7:52 PM
WTG Ray. Looks like you can hollow just about anything with your new rig...Bill..

Jim Burr
12-18-2010, 8:38 PM
lalalalala fingers still in my ears...... I got to stop clicking on the "Monster" threads! You guys are enablers!

you know you want one...you know you want one...you know you want one...you know you want one...1...2...3 and your awake!!!

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2010, 9:43 PM
Ray - Congrats on your new system! I have one and love using it!

Just a suggestion - but on my system I have the mount such that it uses the holes closest to your side of the lathe - meaning the bulk of the steady rest is hanging off the back side of the lathe. The reason for this is that you are hollowing from the center of the form on out to the left. That means your D-handle has to be able to move away from you in order to swing the cutter towards you while inside the form. Hope that makes sense - but if not, let me know and I will take a photo to show what I mean.

charlie knighton
12-18-2010, 9:47 PM
nice gloat

Ray Bell
12-19-2010, 1:48 AM
Thanks everybody to the nice replies.

Steve, I know what you mean. I mounted it in these holes to keep if further away from the back stop on my bench. It may not matter though. I'll remount it tomorrow and see if the backstop interferes.

gary Zimmel
12-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Looks like Santa came a few days early to your shop Ray. Congrats on a sweet set up...