PDA

View Full Version : Another Female Turner?

Baxter Smith
12-18-2010, 1:55 PM
After my wife and I took the dog for a walk yesterday, we went back into the shop and I picked up a piece of plum to rough into a small HF. Cut it out on the bandsaw and as I put it on the lathe, I asked if she wanted try and make a bowl. For the first time… she said yes. Only had my cell phone for pics but it was good enough.

Glad I have two lathes:)- and this one is too tall.;)

But then again, maybe if she is good next year, Santa will bring her a Robust.:rolleyes::)

Steve Mawson
12-18-2010, 2:14 PM
Robust!!! That wouldn't be because you would like one?? The only way to go. Looks like she had fun. Couldn't get my wife close to the lathe if I tied her to it.

Ray Bell
12-18-2010, 2:57 PM
Oops, I was going to say "looks like a second lathe in the near future", but didn't realize you already have two. Looks like she enjoyed this.

Jon McElwain
12-18-2010, 3:46 PM
Now that is what I call a worthy gloat! Congrats on getting your wife out to the shop! Nothing like the satisfied smile after a first bowl...

John Coloccia
12-18-2010, 4:24 PM
She looks like a pro already. I'll bet your first bowl wasn't that smooth. LOL. Congratulations.

John Keeton
12-18-2010, 4:35 PM
Baxter, Melody looks pleased as punch!!! Nice work! No more lonely shop time for you.

Tom Winship
12-18-2010, 5:15 PM
I can't get over the wary eye the dog has on her. Kind of like, "I'm not so sure about this".
good looking work.

Scott Hackler
12-18-2010, 5:25 PM
Good thing you have two lathes, otherwise you might have to stand in line!

Jeff Rich
12-18-2010, 5:50 PM
That is the way to do it and you never have to worry about explaining why you need a lathe with more capacity!

Paul Douglass
12-18-2010, 5:55 PM
I wouldn't let my wife try, My shop is my sanctuary. If she liked it, I'd have to have a second shop!!

Paul McGaha
12-18-2010, 6:48 PM
Looks like she's got a helper in picture 2.

Wish my dog was ok with being in the shop. About the only time she comes out is when my wife and I are having a coffee break.

It would be great if your wife got involved with your hobby with you.

PHM

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2010, 6:51 PM
She looks like she is pleased with the outcome. That is great Baxter that maybe you both can enjoy the hobby together.

Michael James
12-18-2010, 7:43 PM
Very cool that you can share this pasttime with your partner!
Happy hollidays!

Joe Scarfo
12-18-2010, 8:43 PM
It's great when the LOYL (love of your life) wants to participate. I remember when my first lathe came home, LOML and I would do rock paper scissors to go first... we learned a little by making cylinders out of short pieces of 2x2's.. soon I moved onto pens and she was right behind me... Now we have 3 lathes (about $4000), 3 drill presses (about $1000) , 4 bandsaws (about $1000), 2 sharpening stations (about $400), and ... and I love watching her work .... PRICELESS ..

Good Luck and thanks for letting me chime in...
Joe

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2010, 9:48 PM
Baxter - great series of photos - the smile says it all! Very nice first bowl! Looking forward to seeing what she turns next!

charlie knighton
12-18-2010, 9:53 PM
Baxter, great idea to get the wife involved, when you buy the robust you will have three lathes, time to get Rover turning then

Josh Bowman
12-18-2010, 9:53 PM
Baxter, I think she's hooked! That last picture sure looks like a new turner.

Rich Aldrich
12-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Baxter,

That is really cool that she has interest in woodworking. My wife has absolutely no interest.

My middle daugther is a very good artist and I would like to get her going on the lathe, but she has no interest.....yet.

George Morris
12-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Good for her! She did very well! Please don't tell my wife! Just kidding.

Dahl Troy Perry
12-19-2010, 8:15 AM
HOW do you keep the dog from sliding across the floor with such a unlevel floor:eek::eek:

Lee Koepke
12-19-2010, 8:17 AM
Good for her! She did very well! Please don't tell my wife! Just kidding.
I told my wife "Honey, its dangerous ..."

what I DIDNT tell her, the danger is in the cost, not the turning .... as soon as I can afford an upgrade, I may show her a thing or two

David E Keller
12-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Very cool! She does nice work... She must have found a decent teacher, huh?

Baxter Smith
12-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I think she had fun.;) Maybe will even try again though she has lots of other projects already going on. She is a sewer, knitter, quilter but has been spending quite a bit of time in the shop lately working on redoing some old trunks for each of our kids for christmas. My part has been the lift out trays. A very small part, time wise. I don't mind turning off the lathe once in a while!:)

The helper is not a "shop dog". She doesn't like loud noises - but she's got to be where we are so was willing to put up with it.

gary Zimmel
12-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Looks like your wife is going to pick up this turning thing real quickly..
I'm seeing more toys in your shop in the near future Baxter.

Mark Eisen
12-19-2010, 6:11 PM
Congrats on getting your wife to turn, Great bowl.
Now you will have to buy another lathe so you can keep your other two. :D:D

Baxter Smith
12-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Looks like your wife is going to pick up this turning thing real quickly..
I'm seeing more toys in your shop in the near future Baxter.
The lathe never got turned on today though I spent most of the afternoon and evening in the shop working on a tray for the trunk she is redoing. She did bring our daughter out to show her the bowl though!:D

Very cool! She does nice work... She must have found a decent teacher, huh?
If that bowl cracks while drying:eek:.... she sure won't think so!

Congrats on getting your wife to turn, Great bowl.
Now you will have to buy another lathe so you can keep your other two. :D:D
Realistically, I probably should be thinking more along the lines of her needing a hollowing system.;):)

Ken Hill
12-20-2010, 6:06 AM
There ya go! Tell her I said good job!

Roland Martin
12-20-2010, 9:35 AM
How sweet it is! You're gonna have to sell a lot of turnings to pay for another one sucked into the vortex.

Mark Hubl
12-20-2010, 9:45 AM
Congrats Baxter. Looks like she was having some fun. It is nice to share.

James Roberts
12-20-2010, 5:44 PM
Last pic says it all. She's hooked! The vortex wins again.:D

Rodney Walker
12-21-2010, 12:22 AM
She is a sewer, knitter, quilter
If you really want to suck her in, show her some projects for those crafts- perhaps a quilt rack with turned elements?
Congratulations on your wife spending time in the shop with you.

Mike Cruz
12-21-2010, 6:34 PM
I wouldn't let my wife OR my dog in there while I was turning. My one dog would be catching and eating all the chips as they flew off the lathe, and my wife would be trying to clean up!

Good for you, Baxter. At least your wife has a true appreciation for what you love.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-21-2010, 9:29 PM
After my wife and I took the dog for a walk yesterday, we went back into the shop and I picked up a piece of plum to rough into a small HF. Cut it out on the bandsaw and as I put it on the lathe, I asked if she wanted try and make a bowl. For the first time… she said yes. Only had my cell phone for pics but it was good enough.174315[/SIZE][/FONT]

Glad I have two lathes:)- and this one is too tall.;)

But then again, maybe if she is good next year, Santa will bring her a Robust.:rolleyes::)

Baxter you are such a lucky son of...................:o

LOML does like the turnings I make, comes even in the shop on occasion and brings me some refreshment, but there's not a chance she will pickup a turning tool, sharing a hobby like this must be nice, but yes watch out, women are darn good at this form and shape thing, seems to be just part of their makeup.
Anyway happy turning to the both of you, oh and a Merry Christmas and happy and healthy New Year :) :D

Baxter Smith
12-21-2010, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't let my wife OR my dog in there while I was turning. My one dog would be catching and eating all the chips as they flew off the lathe, and my wife would be trying to clean up!

Good for you, Baxter. At least your wife has a true appreciation for what you love.
Mike, the chance of my wife "cleaning" in my shop is about as likely as Santa bringing her that Robust.:) She would tell you that too!:D

Last pic says it all. She's hooked! The vortex wins again.:D
Maybe James. She told my son today that she had too many other things going on to do another and had to wait for this one to dry. The word "fun" was mentioned in there somewhere.:)

Baxter you are such a lucky son of...................:o

LOML does like the turnings I make, comes even in the shop on occasion and brings me some refreshment, but there's not a chance she will pickup a turning tool, sharing a hobby like this must be nice, but yes watch out, women are darn good at this form and shape thing, seems to be just part of their makeup.
Anyway happy turning to the both of you, oh and a Merry Christmas and happy and healthy New Year :) :D
Thank you Leo. I am fortunate. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!:)