PDA

View Full Version : Opinions On The Delta 46-461 Chuck

Eric Sayre
12-18-2010, 1:48 PM
Delta's 46-461 Chuck appears to be a Nova G3, but aside from having set screws (to keep it secure while in reverse) is there any reason I should buy this one rather than a regular Nova G3?

I have the Delta 46-460 reversible lathe and this would be my first chuck. I plan on using this lathe for everything from pen turning to 12" bowls/vases.

I'm still leaning toward a Nova G3, but what other chuck (chucks) should I start with?

-Eric

James Combs
12-18-2010, 2:06 PM
Get the G3, they are the same chuck. I have two of them and I use one on a Jet 16-42 VS reversible lathe. I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole and added a set screw to the insert for the one on the Jet. You can P/U the Nova G3 for around $114 including shipping if you check around.

Clint Baxter
12-18-2010, 2:11 PM
If you get the Delta chuck, it can only be used on a 1" 8TPI spindle. If you get the G3, you then have the option of changing the insert and using it with a new lathe, should you upgrade. I had one of each and when I upgraded, the Delta chuck went with the 46-460 when I sold it.

Clint

Michael James
12-18-2010, 2:12 PM
Go with whichever one you can get a better price on. I got the G3 because for the same price I got 3 xtra sets of jaws. Unless you're going to go high rpm or heavy pressure in reverse, I find the set screw unnecessary.
my .02

Eric Sayre
12-18-2010, 5:02 PM
It sounds like the G3 is less expensive & more versatile. That is what I was hoping to hear. Will the G3 mount without any optional accessories, or is the basic chuck all I need to get started?

Thank you for the replies!

-Eric

Clint Baxter
12-18-2010, 5:14 PM
Just make sure it has the right insert for your lathe. You can get inserts to fit most any lathe. And swap the insert out if you go to another lathe.

Clint

Bill Blasic
12-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Eric,
I would use the G3-d on your 46-460 as your right about the set screws. I use it exclusively on my 46-460 and have no worries about it unscrewing when turning in reverse. I don't know about anyone else but I have had chucks unscrew at high revs and I always tried to catch it, not the smartest thing to do. Toolbarn has it on sale for less than Woodcraft or Craft Supplies.
Bill