PDA

View Full Version : First craft fair

Maria Alvarado
12-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Well, I've taken the next step and put myself an my work out there. They organized a craft fair at work for people to showcase their wares and give a unique holiday shopping opportunity for everyone. I was the only turner (although we have others) who participated which was great, because I was "not jewelry, not knitting". Unfortunately, they announced it a month ago, and so far this year, I've been "not turning" also. But I rallied, and found some old stuff and whipped out some new stuff and sold most all of it, which means you are stuck with lousy cell phone snaps as evidence :).
174282 174283 174284 174285 174286 174287

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and except for the bowls (which honestly, I didn't want to sell) they cleaned me out. Clearly I priced too low, but for no entry fee and no kits and free wood, my costs were in finish sandpaper and electricity. And birds!

Oh, and as another first, and a warning, just because the CA looks dry, doesn't mean it won't stick you permanently to the work. After all, it prefers skin...

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Maria - Congrats on your sales!!! Very nice looking group of turnings! Really like the redish weed pot! Great form and color! Glad you had fun!

Lee Koepke
12-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Very nice work!
I have sold a ton of stuff to my co-workers. Actually one lady ends up ordering just about one of everything I prototype !!! She asked me to stop making things so she can save some more money !!! haha ...

I like those little vases, especially the ones with bark, that may end up being a Christmas idea for my mom ...

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Congrats on the sales and successful fair. Really nice turnings. Bowls and pots look great.

Trevor Walsh
12-18-2010, 1:09 PM
What wood is that red weed pot? It looks awesome I really like the neck shape. I also like the ornament you seem to have trouble parting with, is that one cherry?

Jim Burr
12-18-2010, 1:27 PM
The workplace is a great source of revenue as you just found out Maria! Well done on a great display and sales!

Maria Alvarado
12-18-2010, 1:54 PM
Thanks guys,
It was a lot of fun, especially since few people knew I turned. Steve, I thought of you when dying the vase. Trevor, the wood was silver maple, but was too gray/blue so I thought if I dyed it the gray would go darker, which it did. I used RIT dye. I mucked up the finish (I think I switched from WOP to antique oil for one layer and something went very wrong) and didn't repair it very well, but someone liked it anyway! The genii vase is the same wood, dyed brown with transtint. The little bark vases were a hit. I tried cutting just at a branch point and put that side down. Made it look like tree trunk. And the attached ornament is cherry.

Baxter Smith
12-18-2010, 1:57 PM
Very nice variety of turnings on that table Maria! Glad you did so well!

John Keeton
12-18-2010, 4:40 PM
Some really nice work - and, a successful show!! Best of all worlds. Congrats.

Fred Perreault
12-18-2010, 5:00 PM
Maria,
I like your vases,
I did my first indoor craft shows this Fall. At 3 shows I sold dozens of items, and it led to an abundance of requests for Christmas. But, you seem to notice early.... one must have inventory, or there are no sales. :)