PDA

View Full Version : Another domain question

David Freed
12-18-2010, 6:50 AM
I am setting up one site that lists all of the products I will have.
There will be many changes and additions to this site before I'm done.

From a SEO perspective, would it better to have links in each description of the above site that takes you to sub-domains of that site or to have separate sites for separate products with links to the main site?

Ed Hazel
12-18-2010, 8:22 AM
Neither.

I would do one site, If you have a lot of products you can use Sub directories.
It is much easier to promote one large site than many small ones.

For example you could have a Sub Directory for all your Chairs and one for tables ect. The URLs would look like this

yourdomain(.)com/chairs/oak-chairs.html

paul cottingham
12-18-2010, 9:25 PM
Yes, and then if any product becomes very popular, you cab create a sub-domain for it. Ed is right, buttloads of domains are a pain to maintain.

Dave Wagner
12-19-2010, 7:07 AM
Just created separate pages for each products, if you have a lot, put in directories like they state above for each product line. THere is NO set way to do it, but I would not do subdomains either. Keep your image pictures in the same directory under their own name, makes it easier to find later. Just watch your directories when saving files/images. Make sure when creating the links, you have the correct one, some people will design on their C:\ drive and forget to link correctly, and everything points back to their drive instead of the internet. Also, don't use special characters (!@#$%^&*() or punctuation in your file names or directory names. (Dashes - and Underscores _ are the best to use in file names and directories if needed)

Mainsite.com
\Product1
...\images

\Product2
...\images
etc...