PDA

View Full Version : Calling all computer experts!

Dee Gallo
12-17-2010, 9:57 PM
I have a weird thing that keeps happening. It's not a problem, just weird. Every time I export a jpeg from a CorelDraw document, I get an extra file on my desktop that is titled like this: wnPvduTw.jpg.part

What the heck is it and should I care? I just keep throwing them away.

Thanks for any explanations people might have.

:) dee

Joe Pelonio
12-17-2010, 10:39 PM
I get those when downloading large file, actually huge ones. It's saving the file part way so if interrupted it doesn't have to start the download over again. In my case that is automatically deleted when the download is complete, and goes on a temp directory, not the desktop.

paul cottingham
12-17-2010, 11:02 PM
What Joe said. I'm not sure but you can likey change the behaviour (where it places the temp file, etc) somewhere in your options.

Robert Walters
12-18-2010, 2:16 AM
Hi Dee,

Usually a *.part file is a temporary file that's created when downloading a file from the internet in a web browser until the download is complete. It can also be created when export/saving a large file as a temporary holding file until the current operation is complete.

If you got your file exported and it's fine, you can delete any associated *.part files you come across.
Usually they are either renamed to the finished file name or deleted by the program that created them.

Dee Gallo
12-18-2010, 8:52 AM
Thanks everyone, I guess it has nothing to do with me exporting... must be when I download something. Anyway, I'll keep deleting them!

cheers, dee

Terry Swift
12-18-2010, 9:41 AM
Dee,

Windows creates so many temp files it's unbelievable and hard to track them all. I use a "free" program called CCleaner that goes thru and looks for all that crap that eventually will bog your PC down if there get to be to many - like all those files when Interneting with I.E., Mozilla, or other browser. It also has a Registry Cleaner that is good at cleaning up your Registry as well. For "FREE," you can't beat it.

Even Word and most other Microshaft products create temporary (or they are supposed to be) files that when the program / file is closed - the temp file is supposed to self-delete. WRONG - welcome to Windows since the early 90's.

Frank Corker
12-18-2010, 5:21 PM
Yep, definitely a temp file, they are annoying. If you do decide to use a cleaning program, make sure that you use any facility the program offers to back your stuff up with, they can and sometimes do delete files from your computer rendering certain programs useless. So delete with care. Files marked with a 0 size can be deleted without issues normally.

Dee Gallo
12-18-2010, 5:34 PM
Dee,

Windows creates so many temp files it's unbelievable and hard to track them all. I use a "free" program called CCleaner that goes thru and looks for all that crap that eventually will bog your PC down if there get to be to many - like all those files when Interneting with I.E., Mozilla, or other browser. It also has a Registry Cleaner that is good at cleaning up your Registry as well. For "FREE," you can't beat it.

Even Word and most other Microshaft products create temporary (or they are supposed to be) files that when the program / file is closed - the temp file is supposed to self-delete. WRONG - welcome to Windows since the early 90's.

Thanks everyone, this is all news to me, I've been a Mac user since 84, but had to use Windows for CorelDraw. These temp files don't show up on my PC side, only the Mac side... I wonder how many are hiding on the PC side! Annoying.. one more minus for Windows...