PDA

View Full Version : travelling demo

Clarence Miller
12-17-2010, 9:33 PM
I am a historical re-enactor of the Rocky Mountain Fur Trade Era (pre-1840). The trade that I demonstrate is rope making but after 10 years of demonstrating the same thing over and over again I am getting bored. I do woodworking and am thinking of becoming a wood wright demonstrator. I usually set up for weekend shows only so I need something simple to set up. I was thinking of building a treadle lathe and building one end table during the show for demo and having some furniture for sale (from my modern shop)
Any advice?

Bob Glenn
12-18-2010, 1:02 PM
Clarence, I am a reenactor also, and demonstrate how to build Windsor Chairs. I try to add something new to my demonstration every couple years or so. The latest and most popular addition is a spring pole lathe. People will stand around and watch as long as I pump and turn. Lately, I've let a few people actually turn on the lathe themselves, with my close supervision so they don't get hurt. It's made for a lot of fun.

Have you ever done the Vincennes Rendezvous? Your profile doesn't indicate where you live. Bob

Clarence Miller
12-19-2010, 2:16 PM
Cherokee IA is where I hang my hat. I was thinking a lathe would be popular as visible results can be shown rather quickly. Closest I ever rendezvoused to your area is Prairie Du Chen WI.

Martin Shupe
12-19-2010, 9:20 PM
Bob, the last time I saw you at Vincennes was my last rendezvous. Too busy at work and with the kid's activities (sports and Boy Scouts).

I used to rendezvous a lot in college, not so much since I got married and had a family.

Of course, it is awful hot to dress up in skins most of the year in Texas.

I need to plan a trip out west to one of the Rocky Mountain Rendezvous!