PDA

View Full Version : Questions for you vacuum chuckers

Brad McCollum
01-04-2005, 10:57 PM
I am in the process of building a vacuum chucking system. I want to use it for all of my finish turning, not just to finish off the base. What size vac chuck would you use for utility bowls that are 14" - 15" in diameter? What about bowls in the 10" - 12" range? Would you use something different for the outside vs the inside? How much vacuum would you suggest for these bowls? Thanks for your help.
Makin' m round in Memphis

Jim Becker
01-04-2005, 11:02 PM
The rule of thumb is a bigger drum is better. Dave Lancaster turns all of his 12" bowls using the 8" OneWay drum. I am already finding I need to get one that size as my 5" is a bit small now that I can actually turn larger objects since buying the Stubby.

As to vacuum, I very rarely turn mine down with the bleed, but Johnny Tolly has an excellent document that will give you the numbers you need based on size and thickness.

Brad McCollum
01-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Now that is what I call a quick response! Thanks for the info Jim. Where can I find Mr. Tolly's document?

Jim Becker
01-05-2005, 8:36 AM
Email him...he's in the AAW directory.

Richard Allen
01-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi Brad

The vacuum chuck is a terrific device and you should get a lot of good use out of it. There are woods that you can't use a vacuum chuck on and some situation where a vacuum chuck is a poor choice for holding a bowl. Woods like ash and red oak don't vacuum chuck well because air can be pulled right through the wood. A thin walled bowl can collapse in a vacuum chuck.

A 5" chuck should hold the bowl sizes you mention with a death grip. An 8" chuck will hold anything you mention and it can do so with less stress than a 5" chuck provided you bleed off some of the vacuum. A vacuum chuck drum can be used for jam chucking.

Good Luck

Andy London
01-05-2005, 5:34 PM
I would suggest a 5" drum, the bigger the better. I run mine around 15 to 20 HG on bowls up to 12" which is the largest I have turned so far. You need to be careful if the item is thin as these things will suck the bottom out of a bowl in a fast...learned that the hard way on a beautiful spalted birch bowl.

I have put a couple of pages on my website together on the process, based on the way I set it up.

http://www.picframer.ca/vacuum_chucking_on_the_jet_mini.htm

http://www.picframer.ca/vacuumchuckjet.htm

Andy

Steve Stube
01-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Andy, thanks so much for the informative write-up and photos on vacuum chucking.