PDA

View Full Version : Broke my Freud router

James K Peterson
12-17-2010, 9:09 PM
:confused:

I was spinning it up to remove the bit and BAM, if dropped to the ground.

I'm not sure what I might have done wrong, and I'm not sure how to fix it. Anyone have this happen to them before?

I was thinking maybe I can shove it back together and see if it will screw back in place?

Thanks for any help
James

Bill Huber
12-18-2010, 12:24 AM
What a bummer...

I would say its time to start taking it about and just see how it all goes together.

I am not sure which model it is but here is a like to the parts.

http://www.freudtools.com/t-diagrams.aspx

Good luck....

Kevin W Johnson
12-18-2010, 1:24 AM
I would say by looking at the pictures, if those are bolts that run thru the slid tubes, and srew in to the router motor body.....

Then most likely the threads in the body have been stripped out. If that is the only damage, and if the replacement part is too expensive, a machine shop should be able to put a heli-coil in it for ya.

Its just hard to tell by the pictures, and i looked at the diagram for it, but that wasnt much help either.

David Thompson 27577
12-18-2010, 3:18 PM
I'd at least try to put it back together.

While balancing the motor head on the base-pins, press down gently on the head, and start turning the height adjuster. See if it engages with the threads. If yes, bingo, you're in like flint.

If not, I see a new router in your future. Although, as another mentioned, a machine shop could put helicoils in it (new thread inserts), I'd bet that their price will be VERY close to the cost of a new Freud.

Don Alexander
12-18-2010, 3:30 PM
most likely it isn't stripped just got backed off the end of the threads as David suggested reassemble it and you are likely back in business

Dewayne Reding
12-18-2010, 5:04 PM
I am betting they just backed out too, but in the event you need thread inserts there is a good chance I have some in my toolbox at work you could have. Drop me a PM if I can be of help.