PDA

View Full Version : Pen Turning Questions...

Derek Arita
12-17-2010, 5:27 PM
Well, it's pen turning time and I've forgotten everything I ever knew about it.
First, I'm having a problem using the bit the reams the tube and trims the blank ends even with the brass tubes. I tried using it in my drill driver and that was too difficult, so I mounted it in the drill press and went to work. Problem is, I'm having to use a lot of pressure to get the bit to cut, then when it does, it tends to grab. I already ruined a blank because it grabbed, gouged, then cracked the blank. I went to using my sanding station instead. What am I doing wrong?
Secondly, I've got some kits from Woodcraft that are Oxford Pen Kits. I don't have any instructions on mandrel setup or assembly. Can anyone provide me with those instructions?
Thanks for your help. Seems every year at this time, I have the same problems. Help please!

Heath Brandenburg
12-17-2010, 5:56 PM
It sounds like your blank trimmer needs to be sharpened.

Instructions (http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/77B53.pdf) from Woodcraft's site

Dan Hintz
12-17-2010, 5:57 PM
If it requires a lot of oomph and tends to grab/gouge, sounds like the bit needs some serious sharpening.

Derek Arita
12-17-2010, 6:00 PM
How do you sharpen that bit?

Heath Brandenburg
12-17-2010, 6:51 PM
You want to make sure all four of the teeth stay identical in size to each other.

The trimmer should be attached to the reamer with a set screw. Separate the two and touch up the bevels.

Any sort of flat sharpening device will work well. Commercial options are: oil or water stones, diamond sharpening cards, little hand held diamond hones, diamond files.
I've used small pieces of 600 grit sandpaper adhered to scraps of mdf.

If you have a steady hand and a good eye, you could take a rotary tool to it or touch it up on a grinder.

I've read (Pen Makers Guild) that others take the file/stone/hone to the backs of the cutting teeth rather than the faces.

John Grabowski
12-17-2010, 6:52 PM
Use a file or a dremel...a file is the easiest way. Less chance of messing up the angle or over grinding that's how I do it anyway.

John G

Michael James
12-17-2010, 7:01 PM
It sounds like your blank trimmer needs to be sharpened.
1 more for sharpening the barrel trimmer. Just rub the FLAT sides (without the bit) on a sharpening stone a few times ea. Some woods seem brittle and I will round off the corners on the disk sander, just so there isn't an edge to grab. Also, FWIW, every kit they sell has the instructions on their website. Just plug the kit # in their search window.
Good luck,
mj

Paul Douglass
12-17-2010, 7:54 PM
Well, I can't add a thing, I agree with all.

Derek Arita
12-17-2010, 9:24 PM
Just so I understand...I want to hone the beveled side of each blade...correct?

Michael James
12-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Just so I understand...I want to hone the beveled side of each blade...correct?
Derek, I say NO. When I started I had the same problem, and went to my Woodcraft owner and asked him. If you start messing with the bevel you're eventually going to need a new one. Again, unscrew the "bit" and just rub the FLAT sides on a sharpening stone. I just use litle cheapy Ha freight wetstones, pocket size like we used to sharpen our jack knives with. Rub a few times and you will see it getting shiny....the angle is getting honed. Put your pressure down to keep it flat while you do it. A few passes on each "wing" and it'll cut better than new... foolproof. Promise!
All just my opinoin......:)
mj

Tom Wilson66
12-17-2010, 11:18 PM
I finally got tired of doing the sharpeing on the cutter and got Pen State's jig for sanding the ends square. I think it is better, anyway, just my opinion.

Paul Douglass
12-18-2010, 9:33 AM
What Micheal says. Sharpen, carefully, the flat side.

Jim Burr
12-18-2010, 1:42 PM
+1 for cutter top only!!!! The 600 grit method works real well and is a good use for worn discs'.

James Combs
12-18-2010, 1:57 PM
Sounds to me like there is a little more wrong then just dullness. Do you have the right size bit installed in the trimmer. The bit should be just a slip fit into the tube. Any looseness AKA wrong size bit, will cause it to chatter like crazy and really mess up the blank and brass tube. If you don't have the right size you can turn a bushing using an old brass tube that does fit and a scrap pen blank.

Gary Herrmann
12-18-2010, 2:44 PM
Remove the trimmer from the shaft (if it's removable).
Use a file or diamond paddle and sharpen the 4 flat sides of the trimmer by pushing from the cutting edge to the back of the cutter. That way you can avoid a wire edge.
You won't need to use a lot of strokes for each flat.