PDA

View Full Version : spin - round and round... deeper and deeper

Jon Prouty
12-17-2010, 4:39 PM
I've been researching vacuum chucking setups... figured I would build my own. After finding all the bits and pieces and figuring a vacuum pump from HF my build price was starting to escalate and I still have to actually work to put it all together with no guarantee that I'll get it right without much heartache.

So...

I pulled the trigger on the Hold Fast 3" system... Amazon semed to have the best price shipped so I ordered there. Local store couldn't match the price so I decided to order on-line.

Doug Thompson is out of 3/8" V bowl gouges on-line... will wait till they get back up to place that order. I want a 3/8" V for some reason - and his aluminum handle.

Randy is probably the next order.... mini-monster in Delta grey.

round and round we go.... hope to fire up the 46-460 tomorrow for the maiden spin session. I'm still in the process of moving so priorities have shifted.

Can you tell it is slow at the office??? Leading up to the holidays our business slows significantly and my on-line time is much more. It is becoming an expensive day.

spin
spin

Jon

charlie knighton
12-17-2010, 7:40 PM
good gloat on vacuum system, a 3/8 gouge is very useful, it keeps popping up as used by a lot of demostaters espically for bowls

Rob Cunningham
12-17-2010, 8:02 PM
Nice gloat, a vacuum setup is on my list of things to either build or buy.

Ryan Baker
12-17-2010, 8:03 PM
I also noticed Doug's 3/8V was out of stock ... otherwise it would have been in the order I placed with him last night. :)

There's always something else you need ...

John Keeton
12-17-2010, 8:08 PM
Jon, you are going to like the Holdfast system! Do understand, however, that there will be some forms that the vacuum system just will not work on. If there are holes, or it is really thin, you will need a donut chuck. Building one of those is pretty easy if you have some plywood scraps lying around.

The 3/8" gouge is not a necessity, but it does come in handy! I have a P&N, only because it was in a group of used tools I bought. Otherwise, it would have been a Thompson for sure.

Michael James
12-17-2010, 9:08 PM
Good thinking! Just put out the $$$ and play. Unless you're a tecno tooltype gizmo fabricator (and we have those here..God bless em for helping those of us that aren't!) you really just need to start concentrating on turning. You've got a lot of stuff accumulating, so be patient with yourself and the learning process. Every piece is going to demand you learn it's nuances and form and finish and all the stuff that goes into any piece.
I hate moving almost more than any other activity, but hopefully it's to a nicer home!

Have fun, and GO DELTA, GO DELTA, GO DELTA, GO DELTA, GO DELTA, GO DELTA, GO DELTA, GO DELTA!

Jon Prouty
12-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Jon, you are going to like the Holdfast system! Do understand, however, that there will be some forms that the vacuum system just will not work on. If there are holes, or it is really thin, you will need a donut chuck. Building one of those is pretty easy if you have some plywood scraps lying around.

The 3/8" gouge is not a necessity, but it does come in handy! I have a P&N, only because it was in a group of used tools I bought. Otherwise, it would have been a Thompson for sure.

Hi John - got my donut chuck already built. Used it on my last bowl - worked great. Almost well enough that I don't "need" the vacuum chuck.

JP

Jon Prouty
12-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Oh yeah.... a quick email exchange with Doug and more cash is leaving my account. He put the 3/8" V back up on the site and I made the "mistake" of asking him what his best sellers are.... opps.

Big order (at least for me) placed with Doug... Christmas comes early.

I got to play a bit and made me a mallet so I can hammer the spur center into wood rather than using a metal hammer. Besides, everyone needs a good bonker.

Can't wait for Christmas break... I feel like a kid. 11 days off in a row... should have some lathe time. YAY!

Jon

Michael James
12-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Oh yeah.... a quick email exchange with Doug and more cash is leaving my account. He put the 3/8" V back up on the site and I made the "mistake" of asking him what his best sellers are.... opps.

Big order (at least for me) placed with Doug... Christmas comes early.

I got to play a bit and made me a mallet so I can hammer the spur center into wood rather than using a metal hammer. Besides, everyone needs a good bonker.

Can't wait for Christmas break... I feel like a kid. 11 days off in a row... should have some lathe time. YAY!

Jon
Sorry Jon, I dont see no bonker - didn't happen! Hittin the eggnog a little hard on a sat night? :eek::D:cool:

John Keeton
12-19-2010, 6:41 AM
Jon, we expect to see a flurry of completed turnings during Christmas - one a day would be customary!!;) Don't let us down!!!:D

Congrats on all the new toys you have coming - seems like the next project needs to be tool handles!