PDA

View Full Version : Littering

Mike Cruz
12-17-2010, 4:00 PM
Why do smokers think it is okay to throw cigarette butts out the windows of their vehicles, and stomp them out on sidewalks? It is littering, it is fire hazard, and it is messy (on sidewalks). But for the sake of one subject at a time, let's keep this one to littering. Where is the rationale?

Rod Sheridan
12-17-2010, 4:07 PM
Mike, I don't think it is rational, so how could there be rationale?

Perhaps those people don't view it as their property they're littering, or even your property.

I doubt they do it at home, and I doubt they would do it in your yard.

It just seems that they don't have any consideration for society as a whole, and only consider that they don't need the cigarette butts so just toss them.

I sincerely believe they simply are thoughtless, as in they don't think, hence no rationale.

Regards, Rod.

Charlie Reals
12-17-2010, 4:37 PM
Mike,
I make money off those butts:D:D. my pt job is maintenance in a shopping center. It includes sweeping ( by hand) about 3 acres of parking and sidewalk.The litter is a major problem up here and it amazes me the fast food wrappers and debris we have when the closest ff is 40 miles.We often comment we should go down where they live and throw it on their streets.
butts everywhere on the sidewalks. Sometimes though the litter is welcome in the form of paper money on the ground. Especially in front of the round table pizza.
Charlie

Mike Cruz
12-17-2010, 5:29 PM
Rod, oddly enough, yes they would and do throw them it my yard. In every house we've owned, I had to actually ask people not to throw their butts in the gravel driveway, in the yard, and in the planted areas. At first, I would get the strangest looks...as if I were the weird one. Finally, after I saw one of my dogs running around with one in her mouth, I started using the "my dog will eat them" excuse. It works better, but still not 100% of the time. I think many smokers are SO used to flicking the butts when done, it just come naturally.

Charlie, paid or not, thanks for picking 'em up. I'd love to see people getting ticketed (aka $250 fine) for chucking them.

Scott Donley
12-17-2010, 5:54 PM
As a smoker I can tell you I NEVER toss a butt out the car window. I also,if I do smoke on any others property, public or private, I field strip it and put it in my pocket. I live on a corner lot with a stop sign and EVERY week I have to pick up my property that has been littered with everything from fast food wrappers to pallets.
So Please, when you say smokers, change that to some smokers.

John Pratt
12-17-2010, 6:19 PM
I see people do it all the time here in Southwest Oklahoma and it amazes me. There are so many grass fires you would think they would care. Not to mention the $500 fine for throwing a lit cigarette out the window. I guess most just figure it is somebody elses problem.

Charlie Reals
12-17-2010, 6:23 PM
As a smoker I can tell you I NEVER toss a butt out the car window. I also,if I do smoke on any others property, public or private,
I field strip it and put it in my pocket. I live on a corner lot with a stop sign and EVERY week I have to pick up my property that has been littered with everything from fast food wrappers to pallets.

Scott,
That has to come from training, most smokers never had it or forgot it when discharged. I have them flicking them even when they are watching me sweep them up, especially younger folks. The ones I love to catch are the idiots who empty the ashtray on the ground while waiting on the other half to shop. I have come close several times to them getting physical over it when I write down the license # and tell them I will turn it into the sherriff and I can Identify them so it will stick.Letting them know the old man wasn't fooling, I handed two the dust pan and they swept it up.

Your welcome Mike, I was a smoker for 50 years.
charlie

Charlie Reals
12-17-2010, 6:36 PM
I see people do it all the time here in Southwest Oklahoma and it amazes me. There are so many grass fires you would think they would care. Not to mention the $500 fine for throwing a lit cigarette out the window. I guess most just figure it is somebody elses problem.

Around here it might get you chased down and drug out of your car, especially in fire season.

Karl Brogger
12-17-2010, 6:52 PM
Why? Because most people are lazy. The only way you'll see an end to cigarette butts being thrown everywhere is to work on getting legislation pushed through that bans cigarettes. Down side is we'll have to figure out what to do with the gigantic hole left in the budget when we lose all that tax revenue. And what to do with the people that should've died from emphysema and cancer.

Either that or take a draconian approach to punishing those who litter. Make it a minimum 1 year jail sentance, and a what ever the max misdemeanor fine is and actually enforce it and you'll see that come to a screeching halt in no time.

When I was younger, and quite a bit dumber I had to do 320 hours of community service to avoid doing some jail time. I picked up a lot of trash. While I didn't think it was a real great practice before, I was pretty much disgusted with litter by the time I was done. People throw some strange stuff out the window.

Really? Considering you are way in the minority, (sadly probably not even a full percent), I think its okay for you to not be offended. Does everything in this country have to be Politically correct?

Scott Donley
12-17-2010, 7:18 PM
Really? Considering you are way in the minority, (sadly probably not even a full percent), I think its okay for you to not be offended. Does everything in this country have to be Politically correct?Not asking to be PC, just factual, but some have a hard time seeing the difference.

Bruce Page
12-17-2010, 7:33 PM
C’mon folks, haven’t we had enough gripe sessions here lately?
In the spirit of the season, let’s be positive.
I’m going to close this thread.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2010, 9:49 PM
Thanks Bruce! I agree.