PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Stormy Winter Night

John Keeton
12-17-2010, 3:13 PM
Since doing the SW form recently, I find myself intrigued by the various SW forms. At the same time, I really want to do some of the "basket" work similar to that done by Jim Adkins. So, I thought I would combine the two. This is not a copy or replication of any one form, but more my "hybrid" interpretation of a form into which I could incorporate some beading.

I started out with this sketch.

By posting these pics now, you all can share in the adventure a little - and, when I mess this up, you can be sitting in the good seats!:o I did not set up the photo tent, but Ms. Keeton let me use her room and some polyester batting for some quick shots.:)

So, this is where it is now.

The form itself is BLM burl, with a Claro walnut base and top. The beaded neck is holly, capped with Claro. The form has had BLO, and a coat of WOP, so it is darker than the neck cap, which has only been sanded.

The neck has been beaded, as you can see, and marked with index lines. The next step is to burn in the "basket winding" and then do the icons with dye pens. I think the dye pens are in the mail to be delivered, but because of ice, we haven't received mail for two days. Not sure why - I have been coming and going everyday as has everyone on our rural lane.:confused:

I hope to use some glyphs to portray the title - we will see how that goes!;)

Although it is much too late to change anything, I am sure I will be doing some more SW in the future, so I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Michael James
12-17-2010, 3:28 PM
Very interesing project and a beautiful chunk of BLM! I continue to peruse the SW pottery book I have every morning with the hound stretch and caffeine induction. I think you're certainly onto something here. The "long" neck vases exist, and you're texturing of that area is going to be right on. I've consided the leather winding, and the pyrograpy keeps popping up - so, I like the options presenting themselves. Again, I'm watching and learning. Thanks for the posting!
mj

charlie knighton
12-17-2010, 3:46 PM
John, it is very nice

only a comment, the black rings (as above, so below) are equal height and you have plenty of lift, but when veiwing the whole turning you do not see the bottom black ring as being equal to the top ring

Fred Perreault
12-17-2010, 3:57 PM
Fine looking specimen, Johnny, but will it hold a salad..? :)

Baxter Smith
12-17-2010, 3:59 PM
Interesting design. Thanks for including us in the adventrue.:) For some reason I like the sketch better. Maybe its the angle or that its black and white. For some reason, anytime there are more than two woods in a turning they compete for my attention.
The actual turning looks more "choked" with the Holly being white and straight. Perhaps it was tapered. Just my musings which are worth little.:) That being said, the burl is great and the beading looks immaculate as well.

David E Keller
12-17-2010, 4:04 PM
It's certainly a creative use of several different techniques and styles. The wood is gorgeous as always... I've not known you to turn anything but stellar wood. The only thing that seems amiss to me is the shoulder where the walnut collar meets the holly... It's a little less pronounced in the sketch which I think makes for a smoother transition from collar to neck. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

John Keeton
12-17-2010, 4:09 PM
Thanks for lookin' on, guys. I just went to the PO to check on my mail. Still can't get it. They say it is out with the carrier, but the carrier isn't coming down our road. Told them to hold the mail and I will go in tomorrow and pick it up!
Interesting design. Thanks for including us in the adventrue.:) For some reason I like the sketch better. Maybe its the angle or that its black and white. For some reason, anytime there are more than two woods in a turning they compete for my attention.
The actual turning looks more "choked" with the Holly being white and straight. Perhaps it was tapered. Just my musings which are worth little.:) That being said, the burl is great and the beading looks immaculate as well.Baxter, my rule is three woods!;) Kind of a decorator thing, as I recall. But, in any event, much of the holly will be dyed with glyphs/icons in two different browns, so it will help tie in the Claro cap and the rest of the form, I hope! And, when finish is applied, I suspect the holly will not appear as stark white. Sure is purty wood, though!! And, a dream to turn.

David, just saw your post. The angle of the pic may be a little deceptive on the walnut - the dimensions are as per the sketch. When I get this thing finished, I will take some straight on shots that will compare better with the sketch. When I turn from a sketch, I follow the dimensions pretty closely.

Scott Hackler
12-17-2010, 4:19 PM
John, you know we both share the love of invention with woodturning. I like this direction but there are several elements that dont work for me.

First the straight neck throws me off completely. I studied your diagram and it seems, to me, to look better on paper. I would prefer even the most gentle of tapering out, at the top of the neck. When my eyes start at the bottom and follow the lines up, I am immediately soured by the rigid vertical line. For me a taper where the top of the Holly is 1/4" larger than the bottom, would make a drastic difference, IMO. I think of SW pottery and how a lot of the long necked pots, were designed to be able to pour thier contents from any side, because of the lack of a handle. Maybe I am not familiar enough with SW pottery to appreciate this particular form or maybe the color breaks from the 3 different woods is throwing me off a bit. This form (from the paper sketch) would look different, IMO, if it were entirely out of the same wood.

The other this is the Holly. Dare I say....yuck! I understand the end form will me basket weave pyrography but the color change from top to bottom makes me think of a form that was made out of whatever scrap a person happened to grab. I would certainly prefer a wood with some sort of shade of brown, over the white holly.

The base and collar are, as usual top notch. I eagerly await the end product. Maybe the elements will have a better flow, for me, once its complete.

Josh Bowman
12-17-2010, 4:24 PM
John,
To my eye, I have to say I like it. It's a very interesting form. I think it will add more interest if the neck is permanently attached to the HF, especially if the joint can be hidden, I think this would invoke the question of "How did you do that?".
Looks like you've gotten the burner out and going. I hope you're having fun with it.

Mark Hubl
12-17-2010, 4:39 PM
Thanks for the WIP John. I like seeing something come together. I am holding judgement since I think the design on the neck will "pull" the piece together. One thing, the collar seems a little fatter taller than your sketch. In your sketch it looks a little more like a cove, in your turning it looks more like an ogee. Might just be the angle of the photo. For me I like what you were doing in the sketch. Interesting piece so far. Carry on sir!

You probably have already, but you may want to check out David Nittmann's work for inspiration as well. He does lovely weave work also.

Ron Bontz
12-17-2010, 4:43 PM
Well, the neck is too straight for me. Doesn't flow. Other wise I like it. I was also wondering if you free hand sketch or use a program?

Jim Burr
12-17-2010, 4:47 PM
Although our tastes may differ, I find this a really cool interpretation of Caddo pottery style sans handles. I'd be very interested in how you created the top and bottom of this one. It's a great chunk of burl and claro/holly combination. Realizing that it's not done yet...maybe a taper from the lid to the holly/spout would help, since pottery was seldom done in sharp angles...a crack reduction feature. I checked with a Pre-Columbian art historian at a local University, maker of outstanding pottery work and she verified sharp angles were avoided in most ancient pottery due to poor, but adequate drying techniques of the time. A curved joint was used for both strength and function. Overall...I like the concept and again, can't wait to see the finished piece!

Jim Underwood
12-17-2010, 6:26 PM
Geez John, don't you ever stop?

Your capability to continually produce nice stuff amazes me...

I like the general form this has taken, however I have to wonder if the neck would look better if the lines were somewhat curved either in a taper or a necked down version. The color has definitely thrown me off. Once it gets some finish on it perhaps it will darken up and blend with the other colors a bit better.

Love the form of the base, collar, and spout...

David DeCristoforo
12-17-2010, 6:40 PM
New directions are often met with skepticism. People come to expect a particular style or form from a particular artisan. This one "breaks all your molds". It's a completely different approach. To me it bespeaks blown glass more than southwestern pottery. And it is a totally unique adaption of your new beading tools. I say "bravo!" Press on...

John Keeton
12-17-2010, 6:51 PM
Lots of neat comments and suggestions. Let me take a stab at responding to some of them -

...the black rings (as above, so below) are equal height and you have plenty of lift, but when veiwing the whole turning you do not see the bottom black ring as being equal to the top ringCharlie, I think much of what is being seen comparing the sketch to the form is due to the angle of the pic vs. the sketch, which is a straight on perspective. The lower "ring" of walnut is actually not as thick, but its radius is larger so it has a heavier visual appearance to balance with the top "ring", but that doesn't show well in the pic.

Fine looking specimen, Johnny, but will it hold a salad..? :)Yes, Fred, it will - quick pass through the food processor, and you can stuff that salad right in there!:D

...The other this is the Holly... I would certainly prefer a wood with some sort of shade of brown, over the white holly.Scott, I felt I needed a lighter backdrop for the earth tone glyphs that will be applied. The concept here was to mimic an applied basketry to the neck as embellishment.

I think it will add more interest if the neck is permanently attached to the HF, especially if the joint can be hidden, I think this would invoke the question of "How did you do that?".
Looks like you've gotten the burner out and going. I hope you're having fun with it.Josh, the neck does get glued in place. There is a recess formed for it, and a corresponding tenon on the neck for a nice tight fit. Shouldn't be any visible glue line.

This piece was done by turning a tenon and flat face on the burl and the "collar" disc of walnut. I turned a tenon on the base, and dished out the bottom of it leaving a glue shelf. Then glued on the burl, and hollowed the form. Next came the "collar" disc, and then it was opened up and hollowed to blend with the rest of the form. The recess was cut for the neck.

My first thought was to do this in one "stacked" turning, including the neck. But, the form was moving a little on me, and I needed the beads to be consistent. Also, it will be much easier to do the burning and dye work with the neck separate - and it gives me better access to the form for finish and buffing. I am applying finish to the form while I am working on the neck.

The neck was turned to a cylinder, a 1" hole drilled deeper than the length of the neck, and then hollowed out to the present size. A recess was cut for the walnut cap, and a corresponding tenon on the cap piece. They were glued together, and the cap turned. The beads on the first pic are a practice run, and were turned off after gluing on the cap.
174219 174217 174218
...I think the design on the neck will "pull" the piece together. ...You probably have already, but you may also want to check out David Nittmann's work for inspiration as well. He does lovely weave work also.Mark, I do hope the work on the neck makes a big difference in the overall feel of this piece, and thanks for the tip on Nittmann. I was not familiar with him. Some awesome work!! Looks like he does the inside of his work, as well. I am amazed that one can turn two halves, and have them fit together after such a long time of working on them!

Well, the neck is too straight for me. Doesn't flow. Other wise I like it. I was also wondering if you free hand sketch or use a program?Ron, I just sketch free hand.

Realizing that it's not done yet...maybe a taper from the lid to the holly/spout would help, since pottery was seldom done in sharp angles...a crack reduction feature.Jim, this is a good thought - one I will remember for the next one.

As to the many comments on the lack of taper in the spout, with this form I seem to prefer the straighter neck. It might be interesting to do one with a more bulbous (squatty) bottom, with a longer taper into the neck and flared slightly at the top. I will store that thought!;)

Robert Culver
12-17-2010, 7:47 PM
Interesting piece John I like it.It looks like alot of fun. That looks like a pretty nice chunk of Holly also. Man you get all the cool wood. The holly makes it look really realistic in the pics also. Goood looking stuff.

charlie knighton
12-17-2010, 8:13 PM
i like your interest in SW forms, you use colors of the white man, kemosabia

i really like the burl,
It might be interesting to do one with a more bulbous (squatty) bottom, with a longer taper into the neck and flared slightly at the top. I will store that thought!;)

you might use the tradional Hopi directional colors, ie

yellow(northwest),black or dark blue(southwest),red(southeast),white(northeast)

this is fun, imagine John's ability and our thoughts, only thing is you may have too many suggestions....

brian watts
12-18-2010, 12:54 AM
beautiful chunk of BLM! WOW

Richard Madden
12-18-2010, 10:02 AM
John,
In reading through this thread and the comments being made about three different woods not being good, a taper needed here, and not having equal amounts of walnut showing, and so on, my first thought was, "this is a work in progress, guys, let's see where he takes it". Personally, I think you're on to something here, and something good, so I'll reserve final comments for when the finished work is shown. Then again, I will throw in a few comments for right now; great choice of woods as usual, I like the form as is, and that stark white holly is going to change considerably with the burning and coloring. My guess is, the holly, when embellished, will not look like wood, it will look like a weaving of reeds, and thus not look like a third kind of wood at all. Carry on, and a big thanks for the WIP pics.

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2010, 10:44 AM
John that is really a nice piece. I do like the basket look. Another excellent piece.

Wally Dickerman
12-18-2010, 12:05 PM
John, to me the drawing has more appeal than the actual piece. I have to conclude that it's the combination of colors. Not SW colors at all. I really like curves instead of flat areas in turned vessels, although I do find the drawing attractive. A drawing of the same piece with a very small curve in the neck area would be interesting.

Wally

John Keeton
12-18-2010, 4:32 PM
i like your interest in SW forms, you use colors of the white man, kemosabia

i really like the burl,

you might use the tradional Hopi directional colors, ie

yellow(northwest),black or dark blue(southwest),red(southeast),white(northeast)

this is fun, imagine John's ability and our thoughts, only thing is you may have too many suggestions....

John, to me the drawing has more appeal than the actual piece. I have to conclude that it's the combination of colors. Not SW colors at all. I really like curves instead of flat areas in turned vessels, although I do find the drawing attractive. A drawing of the same piece with a very small curve in the neck area would be interesting.

Wally
Charlie and Wally, I really appreciate the comments. It is so hard for me to pull away from walnut and burls!! I admit, this is a hybrid piece - done mostly because I wanted to play with the basket weaving idea and this was an easy form to use.:o

Sounds like the next one needs to be from a nice chunk of very plain maple, with some smooth curves, basket beaded the whole way, and some actual SW colors! At least, this one has given me an excuse to buy the beading tools, and some dye pens!:D