PDA

View Full Version : Tool Cabinet

Matt Meiser
01-04-2005, 10:52 PM
I don't know that I've ever posted on the dark side before, but thought this would be an appropriate place to post pictures of my tool cabinet in progress.

It is constructed from black walnut and maple or birch ply that I had around. Most of the black walnut was given to me by my brother. He had purchased some edge glued panels from a home center and I didn't feel they were good enough quality to use on a "real" furniture project so I thought they would be perfect for this project.

The first picture is right after I finished fitting everything up. The second picture was taken right after the first coat of BLO. I'll probably put on one more coat of BLO and call it good.

Jim Dunn
01-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Matt

Thats some nice work. Good lay-out and good utilization of space for a cabinet. Is it hanging on a french cleat?

John Dingman
01-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Very Nice Tool cabinet Matt! You did a fantastic job on it!

John

Alan Turner
01-05-2005, 5:14 AM
Nice cabinet, Matt. Are those a couple of Stanley 750's hiding in there?
Alan

Matt Meiser
01-05-2005, 7:54 AM
Matt

Thats some nice work. Good lay-out and good utilization of space for a cabinet. Is it hanging on a french cleat?

Thank you. There are two french cleats on the back. The mating halves are screwed into the wall studs.

Matt Meiser
01-05-2005, 7:55 AM
Nice cabinet, Matt. Are those a couple of Stanley 750's hiding in there?
Alan

Yes they are. Found 3 of them for $7 at a flea market last summer.

Jim Becker
01-05-2005, 8:56 AM
That's a great cabinet, Matt. I'd love to make one of these...but have no wall space to put it!

Mark Singer
01-05-2005, 9:14 AM
very nice cabinet!! Great work

Matthew Poeller
01-05-2005, 9:40 AM
Very nice cabinet!!

I was wondering how you hung the longer planes on the back of the cabinet there? I cannot really make it out.

Ellen Benkin
01-05-2005, 1:30 PM
I've built two cabinets similar to this but what I found is that as soon as I finish and get a cabinet hung I buy a new tool and my organizational scheme gets shot to hell. The next tool cabinet I build will have lots of EXTRA space for expansion.

I just noticed that your first picture shows tools sitting on top, so I guess you've had the same problem!

Clay Craig
01-08-2005, 8:37 PM
Matthew,

I'm considering hanging some planes the same way, so I think I can recognize how these are hung.

Each flat piece of wood, screwed in above and below each plane has a rabbet along the underside of the edge facing the plane. The rabbet in the top piece of each pair is slightly wider (so as to provide a longer total 'sole-slot' between the two pieces). To insert the plane, you slide the toe under the top piece, swing it flat and lower it into the bottom rabbet. To remove, lift and swing out.

(At least ... I assume that's what this is!)

Clay

Matt Meiser
01-08-2005, 9:54 PM
Yes, that is exactly how the larger planes are mounted. The smaller ones require "fingers" that go around the totes and knobs.

Dan Mages
01-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Very nice job!! Kudos on a job well done!

Dan

Jerry Olexa
01-10-2005, 2:35 PM
Matt nice, neat job. I really like your cabinet..