PDA

View Full Version : Butternut bowl

Sean Hughto
12-17-2010, 2:30 PM
Nothing flashy, but I thought it was a nice piece of a somewhat infrequently used wood - butternut. I kind of like the thumb roll on the inner lip for gripping. I may try some more in this vein. The fellow who sold me this chunk sold me a twin from the same tree, the only difference, this one was air dried and the twin was kiln dried. I'm anxious to see if the drying made any difference in the turnability, looks, etc. of the wood.

13" x 4" (walnut oil and beeswax)

Constructive criticism always welcome. And thanks for looking!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5247/5268841755_52422c223a_b.jpg

Tony De Masi
12-17-2010, 2:34 PM
I like it Sean. Very clean form and I really like the rim detail too. Never turned Butternut but it's on my bucket list.

steven carter
12-17-2010, 2:36 PM
Very nice bowl Sean. I like the subtle lip and soft finish. Looks a lot like walnut, just not as dark.

John Keeton
12-17-2010, 2:42 PM
Sean, very well done!! I like the lip, as well, and you have a very good form on this one.

Very nice bowl Sean. I like the subtle lip and soft finish. Looks a lot like walnut, just not as dark.Steve, that is why it is called white walnut by some! Wonderful wood to work with - softer than walnut, and prone to tear out a little, but finishes out so nice!

Baxter Smith
12-17-2010, 2:50 PM
Pretty bowl out of some pretty wood Sean. Finishing someone elses butternout roughouts got me into this mess;) last December. Guess I will always have a soft spot for it.:)

Scott Hackler
12-17-2010, 2:58 PM
Nice bowl. I really like the idea of the inside bead. That kind of detail would be great for a popcorn bowl.

Roger Chandler
12-17-2010, 3:06 PM
Nice form Sean..........as duly noted, I also like the rim, and the undercut lip..........an elegantly understated classic form. You seem to have mastered the bowl...........very nice!

Christopher K. Hartley
12-17-2010, 5:00 PM
Sean, I too like this bowl and your rim treatment. I also like the finish. Good Job.

Mark Hubl
12-17-2010, 5:08 PM
Put me down for a thumbs up on the undercut as well. Looks like it would be pretty functional if carrying the bowl by the rim. I really like butter nut. It is a bit softer than walnut, but really nice to work with. Nice job.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-17-2010, 5:46 PM
Butternut us one of my favorite woods and becoming very difficult to find. I built a raised panel library from it but never turned any. I'll bet it was very nice to work. You were lucky to find a thick chunk. The bowl looks soft to the touch. Nice job.
faust

charlie knighton
12-17-2010, 7:34 PM
very nice, i like your beaded rim, i am more familar with an undercut rim, nice size

Paul Douglass
12-17-2010, 7:49 PM
Well, I won't go against the grain.... I like it also, rim and all. Got to get some of that beeswax, I like the soft finish. Nice job.

Rob Cunningham
12-17-2010, 7:58 PM
Really nice bowl. I like the rim treatment and the finish brings out the beautiful grain. Well done.

Ron Bontz
12-17-2010, 10:25 PM
You can look at a board all day and never see the beauty a turning brings to it. Nice bowl.

David E Keller
12-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Another wonderful looking bowl! I've not used walnut oil yet, but I'm curious about whether or not it changes the tone of the wood any differently than other oils. Anyone?

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
12-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi Sean,

You've heard it a ton already, nice bowl and rim. My real question is about a different part of the bowl: I think your signature and dating is cool. How do you do it? With a burning type pen? If so, the lettering looks incredibly steady. Love to know how you accomplish it.

jeff

Tony Pridmore
12-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Sean, you turn some beautiful bowls. The form on this one is just right and the rolled lip is a bonus.

Tony Pridmore
12-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Hi Sean,

You've heard it a ton already, nice bowl and rim. My question is a bit different: I think your signature and dating is cool. How do you do it? With a burning type pen? If so, the lettering looks incredibly steady. Love to know how you accomplish it.

jeff

Jeff, he uses a woodburning pen. Take a look at the end of his video: http://hughto.blogspot.com/2010/12/blog-post.html

John Keeton
12-18-2010, 5:45 AM
Another wonderful looking bowl! I've not used walnut oil yet, but I'm curious about whether or not it changes the tone of the wood any differently than other oils. Anyone?David, I used it on a cherry bowl, and it seemed to have about the same effect as BLO, but perhaps just a little less amber. My guess is that over time, there would be a little more darkening from the BLO, but I have no data to back that.

Curt Fuller
12-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Very pretty bowl! I agree on the rolled rim, it really looks good. Great finish too.

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2010, 10:35 AM
That is a beauty Sean. I really like the simple form and the rim treatment.

Doug W Swanson
12-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Well done! While I like the fancy bowls, I'm more into utility bowls like this. The rim detail really adds some interest with the shadow effect.

Great job!

Sean Hughto
12-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Thank you all for all the nice comments. You sure are an encouraging lot!

And Merry Christmas!

Sean Hughto
12-18-2010, 1:51 PM
Thanks for directing Jeff, Tony. Some may have wondered why I put that bit in - ego?? - but my thought as I did it was that more than a few times folks have asked how I sign them, so I decided to include the gory detail in the little vid.