PDA

View Full Version : bridle joint question

Tom Hassad
12-17-2010, 1:43 PM
I am making bridle joints for frames and my question has to do with how to sneak up on a fit. I am using a tenoning jig and I use test pieces to create a snug fit but was wondering if there is a better method. I have to shave off a uniform amount because otherwise I can create a gap that ruins the look of the bridle joint.

I do not have a shoulder plane - I was thinking maybe that would be the only other alternative. I can make a tenon that is just about to fit but when I try to dial a closer shave I seem to take too much off and then the tenon is too loose. Any suggestions on getting the fit right?

glenn bradley
12-17-2010, 1:52 PM
I like bridle joints and use them frequently. I use a piece of scrap from the same milled pieces as my "keepers" and sneak up on the fit with the tenoning jig as you describe. I then know I have a perfect fit and can do all my cuts in a run. I do all my mortise cuts first and use the test scrap to get my tenon setting. I then do all my tenons.

Lee Schierer
12-17-2010, 3:00 PM
I'm with Glenn. I cut mortises first. I either use a scrap piece or a finish piece and sneak up on the fit. If I don't know the right width for the tenon, I cut it intentionally wide and then shave off a bit at a time from each side with my saw until I get the fit right. Then I cut all my finish pieces.

If you do cut a tenon too narrow you can glue on a thicker piece of stock, clamp it in place to get a good joint and then re-trim the tenon to the correct size.

David Thompson 27577
12-17-2010, 7:54 PM
........................my question has to do with how to sneak up on a fit. I am using a tenoning jig ....................................

Is your tenoning jig one of the ones that's available commercially? If so, it probably has a turnscrew that controls the exact placement of the cut. Use that to sneak up on the size.

If it's one that you've made, or which doesn't have that feature.......... As the others have said, cut the mortises first. Place the mortised workpiece in your jig, and adjust the jig by placing one of the saw teeth directly against the front edge of the mortise. Use whatever probe you might have to assure yourself that the face of the mortice is exactly flush with the side of the sawtooth. (Unplug the saw if you're using fingers!)

Now remove the mortised piece from the jig, and replace it with a piece that needs a tenon. You should be close enough that you won't need a shoulder plane -- maybe some sandpaper.