PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander

Bill Bulloch
12-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I may have the opportunity to buy a used Grizzly 18" open end drum sander (G0458) for $300.00. It is said to be in good condition. Does anyone own one of these? And, if so, have you had any major problems with it? I have heard that "open end" sanders are hard to adjust to level. Has anyone experiened this problem with thier "open end" sander?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-1-1-2....um-Sander/G0458 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-1-1-2-HP-Single-Phase-Open-End-Drum-Sander/G0458)

Kyle Iwamoto
12-17-2010, 2:22 PM
I have the Preformax/Jet sander. That looks like it's a movable bed design. THere are pros and cons about the bed moving or head moving. The main problem, I think, on a movable bed design, is cannot make infeed or outfeed tables for it unless they move along with the bed. Pretty tough to do. I you plan to sand long pieces, this is of major concern. If shorties, not much of a concern.

Jim Silva
12-17-2010, 4:21 PM
I have an 18" Delta (it's open end).
Leveling the bed wasn't bad on this unit but I do have a bit of a time keeping the feed belt perfectly straight. It likes to crawl a bit to the inside over time so I'm playing with feeler gauges to straighten it out. Other than that it's a fine unit and I find it indispensable.

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2010, 5:54 PM
Just moved this thread over here in the hopes someone can help Bill out with some answers. Thanks!

Pete Hay
12-17-2010, 11:40 PM
I have that sander -- got it on CL a couple years ago at $350. No problem keeping it parallel - just follow the manual's instructions completely. My concern is underpower. This machine needs at least 2hp, maybe 3hp. It trips under what seems to me to be normal operations

Cary Falk
12-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I got one on CL a few years ago for $450 and thought I got a good deal. My motor is running a little hot and popping breakers lately. I need to see if moving it to a dedicated circuit will help. I have no problems with belt tracking.

keith micinski
12-18-2010, 11:14 PM
I have found that if I try to use sand paper that is worn it pops the breaker constantly. I have always had a hard time swapping paper out at the right time because I am a tight wad but with the Drum sander I have found once the paper goes and it starts popping the breaker there is no sense in trying to keep going.

Clarence Miller
12-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I paid 400 for my performax 16-32 and consider that a darn good investment, I would probably buy it if I were in you shoes.

Paul McGaha
12-19-2010, 7:40 AM
Hi Bill,

I have a similar sander from Delta. I find it worth having. Spend far less time with a ROS.

At that price I would think you could resell it easily if you didnt like it.

PHM