PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Casters

Bob Winkler
01-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Ok, I need a sanity check from all the experts out there. I'm in the middle of a woodshop expansion, and decided to make some of my equipment portable. I looked at the typical machine mobiles bases that many vendors sell, and was pretty amazed at how expensive they are.

After looking closer at my Delta 14" open-frame BS, I noticed that the sheetmetal legs have holes already in the them. So I wonder, why do I need a mobile base, when I can get casters with a stud and mount them directly to the legs. That's how my Performax DS is built.

Grizzly has some nice looking ones for pretty cheap. Isn't this the simplest solution?:confused:

Thanks for any opinions. Bob

Jim Becker
01-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Will the extra height that the casters give to the machine affect you negatively? Most mobile bases recess the tool base to keep that to a minimum.

Neil Clemmons
01-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Here's a very low cost way of adding mobility to a bandsaw or table.

I've used fixed casters attached to the side/back of the leg or base. On a couple I had to put a wood wedge in place to get the caster so that it barely clears the floor. By simply tilting the saw or lifting the opposite end of the table, you can move it, yet it adds nothing to the height of the saw or table,

Cost is two Home Center casters - under $10.

Keith Cope
01-05-2005, 5:51 AM
Bob,

Installing the casters in those little holes seemed like a good idea to me too--until I did it. What happens is that the flange is not rigid enough to handle the amount and type of stress that moving the machine places on it, and it flexes and/or bends/crumples. DAMHIKT....

Keith

Kurt Aebi
01-05-2005, 8:21 AM
I agree with Keith! I have more than one piece of equipment on those metal legs and they are all bent up - Casters catch and the flimsy sheetmetal just bends and can't be restraightened to its' original shape.

Go with a mobile base of some type!

Ernie Hobbs
01-05-2005, 2:52 PM
I had the same thought. I have (soon to give it away to my brother) an old Craftsman band saw and bought the Rigid casters at home depot for their band saw. I found the height raised 4" wasn't very comfortable and the surface was a little wobbly. Since all 4 swivel, it is difficult to get all 4 wheels in the same alignment to sit level.

When I bought my new Delta 14" band saw last month, I put it on the mobile base that Delta makes (that you cut the rails out of wood). Much better!

If you go through with the casters through the holes, buy only two that swivel and the other two fixed, to avoid the wobbliness (I'm not sure that's a word) of your work surface.

That's my two cents. I am really glad to be getting that Craftsman band saw out of my shop!

Tyler Howell
01-05-2005, 3:00 PM
What Keith said. Been there done that.

Hoa Dinh
01-05-2005, 3:29 PM
Bob,

Check out the "Net Specials" on http://www.vegawoodworking.com/. The Machine Mover is only $25/copy. Buy two and get free shipping. What a deal.

Bob Winkler
01-05-2005, 3:40 PM
Thanks for the sanity. You guys most likely saved me some grief. I think I'll build a nice base cabinet with casters, and get rid of the spindly sheetmetal legs. That way I'll get mobility and extra dust-free storage. It will be more work, but should be worth it in the long run. Good chance to try some of the $30 maple plywood from HD.

Thanks

Jim Becker
01-05-2005, 3:43 PM
Bob,

Check out the "Net Specials" on http://www.vegawoodworking.com/. The Machine Mover is only $25/copy. Buy two and get free shipping. What a deal.
Wow, that's a steal! I use this system to move my 800 lb Stubby around (with metal side bars)...I think I paid about $100 for it way back when it was under my old OneWay machine.