PDA

View Full Version : "I can build a sofa table for a lot less than that!"

Pat Kearney
01-04-2005, 9:28 PM
Figured I would post these pics of my first attempt at building a piece of furniture.
It started about a year and a half ago when my wife wanted a Sofa Table to place in front of our family room window. For the next year she looked around but could not find one that she really wanted. Then one day she came home and said she finally found the table she wanted - FOR ONLY $700 :eek:!!! When I picked myself up off of the floor I told her those famous words "I can build one for a lot less than that!" What I thought at the time was my first mistake actually turned out not only to be one of the most frustrating experiences but also one of the most rewarding. I drew up the design that evening on paper and after about three months (with two boys under the age the 8 and working 40 plus hours a week at my regular job it only leaves a few hours a week to spend in the basement "workshop") it was finally finished. The actual amount I spent on materials was less than $100 as I used pine but I spent about $350 on new tools-BONUS!!! Here are the pics. I don't think it turned out too bad although the picture is intentionally taken just far enough away as not to show some of the flaws:rolleyes: . And best of all my wife is happy, now she wants a full living room set. I figure I can get approval for at least another $500 in tools for that one:D . I welcome your comments. Take care.

Erin Stringer
01-04-2005, 9:44 PM
That is quite a first attempt! I used that line to get a few tools as well. How difficult was it to make those legs? My most "difficult" leg was only tapered so far. Enjoy the living room set, I look forward to seeing those pics...

John Miliunas
01-04-2005, 10:02 PM
"First attempt", huh? I hate you! I've been doing this for a while now and don't think I could up with something that nice! :( I hate you. Simple as that! Or, simply beautiful. Take your pick!:D :) Very nice job Pat, at ANY level of attempt(s)! Thanks for the picks (...and really blowing a hole in my ego!:mad: ):) :cool:

Dick Parr
01-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Very nice looking first table!

Bob Drury
01-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Very nice! Is it your own design, or did you get plans for it?

Ron Jones near Indy
01-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Very nice Pat. Another project that I can't let LOML see. Sometimes guys like you cause guys like me a lot of trouble with SWMBO. ;)

Rob Littleton
01-04-2005, 10:30 PM
I don't think it turned out too bad although the picture is intentionally taken just far enough away as not to show some of the flaws....

I can see the floors (hahahah, flaws)..........

Sorry, that is one awesome looking table bud. Nice job

Joanne Adler
01-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Nice job, Pat. How do the aprons connect to the legs? Pegged mortise and tenon? How about the joinery on the shelf? How did you do that part. Looks pretty neat.

Jim Becker
01-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Very nice job, Pat. I agree with Joanne (as I always do... :D )...do tell us more about your construction/design.

Jim Schmoll
01-04-2005, 11:45 PM
I think the best part was more tools....two thumbs up

Jim from Idyllwild CA

Pat Kearney
01-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. It was my first attempt at serious furniture, up until this point I had only made a couple of small wall shelves for the kids rooms. I designed the table on paper after looking at several other sofa tables on the web and in magazines. The joinery was nothing fancy, just plain screws where the legs joined on to the front and side rails and plugged. The top is held in place using several small rectangular pine blocks (probably 1"X1"x4"), drilled, and countersunk with forstener bits. The bottom shelf is attached using brass L-Brackets I bought at Wal-mart. I did not have any fancy tools so the legs were just pieces of 2X4 pine that I cut out using a small bench-top bandsaw. And to finish it off I applied three coats of water based stain and 5 coats of clear Felcto Diamond Water Based Varathane. I would say 80% of the "training" I used to build this was found on the web-it's a great resource - the other 20% was from the poor guy at the local hardware store who I am sure must have retired after I left :D .

Based on many of the projects I have seen and the hints and tips I have found on SMC it's motivating me to use some better joining methods and better designs on the next project. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Glenn Clabo
01-05-2005, 6:57 AM
Nice job Pat...use what you have and know and learn as you go is a great approach. The more sophisticated joints will come if you take them on. Try taking some scraps and working some mortise and tenon joints so when you make your next piece you have confidence.

Where you live brings to my attention that I have been instructed by DrLOML, a Canadian, that it is my duty to teach all Americans how to pronounce the province you live in. Can we all say Newfund-LAND?

Rob Russell
01-05-2005, 7:05 AM
Pat,

Nice job on the table, especially being a first project.

Full living room set, huh? Sounds like you'll need a cabinet saw for that project! ;)

Rob

Marshall Harrison
01-05-2005, 8:24 AM
Welcome to the Creek Pat. That's a nice looking table

NOW... tell us what new tools you got for this project. Seeing furniture is nice but everyone knows it's really all about the tools :D

Lamar Horton
01-05-2005, 8:30 AM
- the other 20% was from the poor guy at the local hardware store who I am sure must have retired after I left :D .

Great table Pat, don't forget to take your pictures to the guy at the hardware store. He will probably enjoy seeing the fruits of his advice, as do all the folks here do.

Lamar

Maurice Ungaro
01-05-2005, 8:45 AM
Seeing your low post count I'll say "Welcome to SMC", incase you've not been told so on other threads.

I started out with a couple of small projects, and FINALLY made a jewelry box for my then fiancee. I then made the kneeling bench for our wedding this past April. Now that we've moved into our restoration project house, I've got a growing list of projects that are to be accoplished:

Wine bar/rack
Risers for the tops of the kitchen cabinets, so her display stuff can be seen.
Bench seat/coat rack with storage for the mud room
Book cases, book cases, book cases....
Anything else she dreams up :rolleyes: .....
But hey..THAT's OK! I've been able to wrangle a dedicated shop out of the deal in the new garage that we're building. Pictures to follow on a separate thread (...that's for Tyler & Chris..).

Have fun with it Pat, who knows, maybe you can get a new table saw in order to make the rest of that furniture (...you know you wnat one..).

Maurice

Dave Anderson NH
01-05-2005, 9:00 AM
One warning for you though. For a full living room set you have set your tool budget too low. I'd go for at least $1000 and remind your wife of all the money she's saving by having you do it. On second though, maybe $1000 is too low.:D ;)

Ted Shrader
01-05-2005, 1:21 PM
Pat -

That is pretty darn good for a first attempt. Well designed and executed!
"I can build one for a lot less than that!" You have the hang of the sales technique! CHECK

The actual amount I spent on materials was less than $100 as I used pine but I spent about $350 on new tools-BONUS!!! Validated your assumption. CHECK
I figure I can get approval for at least another $500 in tools for that one Reinforcing the sales technique. CHECK. You are on your way!!!

I don't think it turned out too bad although the picture is intentionally taken just far enough away as not to show some of the flaws.Probably, like some of mine, looks real good in the dark! :) :D :) (Just funnin' ya!)

Well done!
Ted

Joanne Adler
01-05-2005, 1:40 PM
Hey, Pat,

Don't feel bad about the 'poor guy at the hardware store'--after I picked the brains of all the workers and bought most of my tools, the entire chain Woodworkers Warehouse went out of business! Boy, did I feel bad! ;-)

scott spencer
01-05-2005, 4:06 PM
"First attempt", huh? I hate you! I've been doing this for a while now and don't think I could up with something that nice! :( I hate you. Simple as that! Or, simply beautiful. Take your pick!:D :) Very nice job Pat, at ANY level of attempt(s)! Thanks for the picks (...and really blowing a hole in my ego!:mad: ):) :cool:

I agree with John! First attempt? ...I hope those are big fat screw heads sticking out the legs and not some fancy attractive plugs! ;-) It's a beautiful piece, and even if you went to the most expensive lumber yard in town, I know it cost you a fraction of $700. Nice work.

Jerry Olexa
01-05-2005, 5:41 PM
Pat Great "FIRST" project (Yeah...Right) Seriously great results and now you can BUY more tools..

Pat Kearney
01-09-2005, 1:00 AM
Thanks again for the comments and I must say I am pretty darn proud of it considering the limited experience I have with wood working. Once again if I took some closer pictures you would see the small wedges I had to insert to make things level and to fix cuts that were too short. However glue, sandpaper, stain, and low lighting cover it fairly well ;) .

Glen, as for your comment about Newfoundland and it's pronounciation you are absolutely correct. Many times I listen to people who are not from here prounce it and it is different for how we say it here. The best way to compare it is to say "the snow fun land" is "newfoundland" with the words "found" and "land" being pronounced the same in both.
And in case anyone is wondering if it is the "snow fun land" I am posting the attached picture of the Trans Labrdor Highway (the equivalent of the I95 in the US) being cleared of snow after a huge storm. This is a pic from last year but it about says it all. I never took this picture but for anyone wondering yes that is an excavator on top of huge hill of snow with a snowblower below!!! Not related to the topic of converstaion but thought it would be interesting for those who have not visited this part of the world in winter.
Take care

Peter Dufresne
01-09-2005, 7:49 AM
Great JOb... remember to always pick up a few new tools as part of any project. Whether or not they relate to the project or not. Sage advice I recieved from an old wood working friend of mine

Pat Kearney
01-09-2005, 8:44 AM
Thank you Peter. I like that piece of advice.

Arnie Grammon
01-09-2005, 9:52 AM
...it is my duty to teach all Americans how to pronounce the province you live in. Can we all say Newfund-LAND?Nah.....everyone in the USA pronounces it New Found Land. We know better down here......don't you know that? :D :p ;) .

Arnie.....from Or e gone

Pat Kearney
01-09-2005, 10:07 AM
No problem Arnie. As I say to everyone they can call me what they want but just don't call me late for dinner.

In continuing with the above conversation about "justifying" new tools when your wife asks you to build something I am glad to say that in exchange for my agreeing to build a living room set to match the above sofa table I am now the proud new owner of a new Craftsman 10" 3 HP table saw and a Makita RF1101 router kit which comes with the fixed and plunge base attachments. Just bought them yesterday so I haven't had much of a chance to try them out yet.

Now I wonder if I can sell her on the idea of trading the mini-van for a new Extended cab Dodge hemi-after all I will need it to pick up the lumber..... :rolleyes:

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of the living room set but most of all on the status of the pick-up.

Howard Rosenberg
01-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Pat - you did a great job - you have a great eye - you should be real proud of yourself here - all the best - Howard

Pat Kearney
01-09-2005, 6:08 PM
Thanks Howard. It's something I never thought I would have an interest in however since completing the table and having it in my living room it is a very popular discussion piece that has now given me motivation to do more. Now it's just getting the time.

Jay Knoll
01-09-2005, 7:39 PM
Pat

Great job,the table looks great! Now if (or should I say when) you do the living room furniture, is SWMBO going to take responsiblity for the upholstery? If so, you're going to have to budget for a new sewing machine! Watch out, the ladies are up to our tricks and they like their toys, er, tools, just as much as we do.

Keep up the good work!

Jay

larry merlau
01-10-2005, 12:27 PM
looks like a great first attempt, you deserve more room to expand your shop. maybe even change your day job :D also noticed your from labador, been there , is labordor city still there or is the mill gone? great job and good luck on the rest of your-her furniture :D

Pat Kearney
01-11-2005, 1:01 PM
Thanks Larry. I have never been to Labrador City but the Iron Ore mine & mill is still there. There was a huge discovery of nickel, the largest nickel discovery in the world, in Northern Labrador a few years ago and INCO is currently developing a mine there. Most people go to Labrador to hunt or fish, is that what brought you there?

As for changing my day job not yet for a long while. Busines Telecom sales is great and treats me good. But you never know what the future holds. Thanks again.