PDA

View Full Version : dowel pins

Bo McCorkle
12-16-2010, 11:22 PM
I was just wondering if anyone here made they're own dowel pins and if so why?? what are the benifits if any or is it just easier to buy them

Bill Huber
12-17-2010, 9:01 AM
I have made a few just because I ran out of the normal ones I use but that that is the only time. I use the expanding dowels from Lee Valley and I have had very goo luck with the,.

Michael Peet
12-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I just finished using some homemade dowel pins on a project last night. The benefits are:

1. You can match the wood to your project.
2. If made with a dowel plate the dowel will tend to follow the grain, making the pin stronger. This is important when drawboring.

Mike

glenn bradley
12-17-2010, 2:17 PM
I've made a few to match a project as well. Not something I do enough of to buy stock. They would set around so long I doubt they would be usable by the time I wanted them ;-) Where I can use generic red oak dowels I just pick up a stick at the BORG. I'm not a big dowel guy.

Jack Pinkham
12-17-2010, 2:26 PM
This Japanese woodworker shows his ingenious dowel maker:

http://www.youtube.com/user/noho91#p/u/91/dwDjedeJCZ0

His other videos showing a minimalist approach to woodworking tools are worth watching too.

Lee Schierer
12-17-2010, 3:05 PM
I've made my own dowels using a round over bit and four passes through my router. You can make dowels from any wood you have on hand. First cut a length so it is square in cross section to the finished dowel dimension. Use a table mounted router with a fence and feather boards. Make the first cut and then rotate that cut up so it is up, but still against the fence. Rotate the piece this same direction twice more and you have a dowel of any length you want. Caution, If you don't use a fence, the bearing on the round over bit will not be riding on a flat surface after the first cut and will not yield a round dowel when you are done.

Prashun Patel
12-17-2010, 3:36 PM
I make them if I want them to be visible and decorative, extra strong, or big.