PDA

View Full Version : Vases

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Well the vases that everyone thought that looked like space ships have sold. So she called Monday and told me she needed some more as another lady was interested in a couple of just plain wood. So I whipped out some maple and got after it. Here are two maple vases. They are both 9 1/2" across. The one with smaller lip is 3 1/2" high and the other is right at 4". Sanded to 400 grit with shellac applied on the lathe and the 6 coats of gloss lacquer. I have one more that has finish drying. The first 3 pic's are the first vase and the second 3 are the second vase.

dan carter
12-16-2010, 11:23 PM
You can't argue with success. These look good as well, she'll like these, so you better get a couple more on the way. :-)

Baxter Smith
12-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Glad to hear the design was a succes! I always thought of maple as kind of plain but the design makes these very attractive!

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Bernie - Congrats on your sales! Hope it leads to many more!

Nice work on the rush order!

Ron Stadler
12-17-2010, 1:28 AM
They look nice Bernie, and congrats on your sales.

Ray Bell
12-17-2010, 1:48 AM
Very nice Bernie.

Roland Martin
12-17-2010, 6:52 AM
Those are very nice Bernie. Congrats on the sales.

John Keeton
12-17-2010, 7:07 AM
Congrats, Bernie - good work rewarded! Have you considered making these as clamshells? Two "bowl turnings" finished on the inside, then glued together and finish turned on the outside? Perhaps that is what you have done here, though it is hard to tell.

steven carter
12-17-2010, 8:39 AM
Way to go Bernie! Congrats on the sales, I would keep doing them as long as there are buyers:D.

Steve

Tony De Masi
12-17-2010, 8:53 AM
Nice work Bernie. When I saw your first one like this I wasn't too sure if I liked the shape or not. I have come to like the shape very much especially if this was turned as one piece and not two pieces glued together as JK suggested.

Continued success on the sales.

gary Zimmel
12-17-2010, 9:03 AM
Congrats on the sales Bernie.
You may have to make a few more to keep ahead of those buyers...

charlie knighton
12-17-2010, 9:29 AM
very nice, and sales help

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the the kind comments. I am hoping the sales will continue. I am going to make a couple out of poplar with no finish to maybe try some piercing and maybe some airbrushing on.

John I have a DVD coming from Brian McEvoy that does that very thing. I am looking forward to seeing his DVD and see how it goes. He does a lot of piercing on his and burning. I e-mailed him and talked with him some about this. He said people think it is easy but he said getting edges matched and grain matched can be a pain. He said the glue joints have to be perfect or people will see the glue line. We will see and I will post one if and when I do it.

Tony so far these are one piece but a real pain in the back side. Reaching out to the outer edge inside does take some patience and time.

jared herbert
12-17-2010, 11:05 AM
If you dont mind could you give us a rough idea of what you are able to sell them for and what kind of a place they are being sold in? thanks

Harvey M. Taylor
12-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Bernie, a question:could you do the '2 bowl' thing as John said, flatten the edge slightly, burn a line over the glue line to disguise it? I am just starting hollowing, and havent done this.Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks, Max

Mike Golka
12-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Bernie, I've seen Brians work up close and personal as we both belong to the Edmonton Woodturner Guild. That being said you've done a very good job with your forms. I have Brian's videos and I think you'll enjoy them. It's supprising how a little embelishment can make an otherwise plain piece pop. Can't wait to see your work after you get the video. Keep up the great work and congrats on the sales.
Anyone looking for a preview of Bernie's work check out "onegoodturn.ca" I'm sure he'll soon be cranking out similar works.;)

John Keeton
12-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Bernie, I don't intend to hijack your thread, but thought I would follow up on a couple of the comments. I have done three of these clamshell turnings, and I thought they were pretty easy to do. However, I did "mask" the glue joint in a few different ways.

These are the threads where I posted them -

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?134825-21-Telstar-Infinity-and-beyond/page3 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?134825-21-Telstar-Infinity-and-beyond/page3)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?136887-28-Mahogany-Tiger&p=1387765

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?141924-Midnight-Lagoon-at-Full-Moon/page3 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?141924-Midnight-Lagoon-at-Full-Moon/page3)

In the second thread, I posted some WIP pics that showed how I did that one. It was interesting to look back at these! The first two were done in March - my third month of bowl/form turning, and the last one in June - six months into the vortex. This certainly has been a fun ride!

I will be interested in seeing where you take this after viewing the video - lots of possibilities!!

Bill Bolen
12-17-2010, 1:03 PM
Fine looking pieces Bernie and congrats on your repeated sales at the gallery...Bill..

Mark Hubl
12-17-2010, 1:06 PM
Nice looking pieces. I like the form and the collar treatments. Congrats on the sales!

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2010, 6:46 PM
Bernie, a question:could you do the '2 bowl' thing as John said, flatten the edge slightly, burn a line over the glue line to disguise it? I am just starting hollowing, and havent done this.Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks, Max

Yes I just looked at John's threads and I think you could do that very easily. I am kinda anxious to get Brians DVD to see how he does it. I know when I talked with him he said if you flatten both edges of each bowl you really can't see a glue line but he told me to take a machinest square across the front. He said there can be no gap. He said the square must be absolutely flush. He also said you could texture each side maybe a 1/2" and he said the glue line would be hidden.

If you dont mind could you give us a rough idea of what you are able to sell them for and what kind of a place they are being sold in? thanks

I am getting $60 at the Carnagie Arts Center where I have my turnings displayed and for sale. I get a 70/30 split with them. She does all the paperwork and all I do is collect the checks. I had them there for $75 but didn't move. Dropped the price to $60 and sold all 4 of them. I quit doing crafts shows because most time I lost money. People are looking for cheap at those gatherings IMHO.

John I am going to try a couple of the bowls then glue. I hadn't even thought of putting a finial on them. I hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea.

I think the DVD is suppose to be delivered tomorrow. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Ryan Baker
12-17-2010, 7:19 PM
I recently got Brian's DVDs too (all three of them). They are good DVDs (especially the embelleshment one). The hollow forms are pretty much what you expect, with a few tips thrown in. I'm going to play around with some two-piece forms one of these days too, after I get past the Christmas projects.

Rob Cunningham
12-17-2010, 8:08 PM
Nice looking bowls Bernie. Congratulations on the sales, hope they keep coming.

David DeCristoforo
12-17-2010, 8:29 PM
I for one, really like these "spaceship" shapes. The top one with the flared collar is especially nice. It's no surprise that they are selling.

Ray Bell
12-17-2010, 9:35 PM
Bernie, are you using a donut chuck to finish the bottom of these?

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Bernie, are you using a donut chuck to finish the bottom of these?

Ray I do use a donut chuck to finish these.

Ron Bontz
12-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Nice Bernie.