PDA

View Full Version : Special Orders?

Bob Janka
04-10-2003, 1:10 PM
Folks,

These questions are for anyone who sells the products of their woodworking effort, be it flat, round, big or small, full-time or part-time.

If you take orders, how do you handle payments?

How do you handle scheduling?

One option is take full payment on delivery. Another option is some kind of deposit at time of order, remainder at delivery. This might extend to partial paypments between order and delivery.

I'm asking for two reasons. First, I have a craft sale coming up (Pens & Accessories). I expect that some folks might like a combination which I don't have with me. Since pens are fairly small, I will probably just arrange for full payment at delivery. I've been spending 10-12 hours a week turning pens, so I'll plan on 3-5 hours for scheduling purposes. I'll estimate long and hope to deliver early.

Second, I will eventually do a flat piece or two. Before then, I am researching practices & policies.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Cheers,
Bob Janka
part-time pen-turner

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
04-10-2003, 1:37 PM
they have requested a particular type of wood I don't have on hand. I'll usually check on prices and let them know ahead of time what the cost would be. I let them know that if they supply the wood, it's payment on delivery. Being somewhat new at this myself, I'm still in the "if you aren't satisfied, you don't have to buy it" mode, but at least they've purchased the wood to use. Nothing I make is expensive, like other furniture I've seen on here, so it doesn't hurt me to do this. So far, I'm glad to say, I haven't had anyone not like what they've received. Only my . 02 cents ... it may change as I get more commercial.

Mike Evertsen
04-10-2003, 1:49 PM
I do custom woodworking my way very simple

1) I make no on the spot quote I say I'll get back to you in a couple days with a quote and drawing.,

2) I don't start no job until 50% is laying on my bench

3) Delivery standard is 3-4 weeks or longer if I'm busy but the client is told upfront

4) Everything is in writing and the down payment check is photo copied,,,,,

D.McDonnel "Mac"
04-10-2003, 3:23 PM
Don't work on your nickle! Get half up front to cover your material costs and to make sure they are really interested and locked into the purchase so to speak! Get it in writing and have them sign off on sketches/plans along the way.

Then when the job is complete get the other half on delivery.

That's my $0.02