PDA

View Full Version : Pine Galls: A Preview...

Art Kelly
12-16-2010, 9:56 PM
I scored a tote full of pine galls--probably caused by fusiform fungus--in North Georgia in September. Now that the Christmas-ornament orgy is over, I've started back on the galls.

They are interesting objects. When the fungus attacks the limb, it apparently causes real sappy wood to grow where the fungus has breached the bark. Because of the sap, sanding is almost impossible, so I've smoothed these as smooth as I can with a scraper. After that I started with #2 steel wool, mostly with the lathe off, and just worked out the remaining tool marks. The stuff is pretty soft so it goes fast. I don't have a lot of different grades of S/W, so I went from #2 to 0 to 0000.

In the photos, the little vase on the right is just about finished on the outside. I did a few minutes with 0000 S/W and Danish Oil (natural). There are a few little tool marks still to be worked out, but I thought I'd let the oil cure for a few days to see if I like it.

In the piece on the left, you can see where the limb runs at about 20 degrees from horizontal. The gall was about 7 inches in diameter on the limb. In the piece on the right, the limb runs straight upward through the gall, which was about 3-1/2 inches in diameter. The main limb looks like regular pine, but the gall surrounding the limb is like the "fatwood" found in the stumps of old trees. The pieces are about 5 inches tall.

News at 11.
Art

174082 174081

David E Keller
12-16-2010, 10:05 PM
That's cool looking wood, Art. I wish the photos were a little larger, and I'll hope you'll post some shots of the finished pieces.

Jim Underwood
12-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Photos a little larger, yes. At this point they're barely larger than the thumbnails.

Make 'em at least 600 pixels on the long side, and preferably 800 at 72 PPI.

Interesting looking stuff. Hope you post more pix!

Baxter Smith
12-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Neat stuff. Did you post some of these earlier? I thought they were pretty interesting.

Art Kelly
12-16-2010, 11:10 PM
...I wish the photos were a little larger, and I'll hope you'll post some shots of the finished pieces.

I got wrapped around the axle with the new forum software when I started uploading the pictures. (Hey! I'm old, gimme a break!)

I posted this "preview" partly in response to a couple of earlier threads:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?152021-Setting-Pitch-in-Pine-Spruce-etc&p=1555600 , and

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153058-Knotty-Pine-Bowls&p=1566140 ,

because there were some questions about finishing and I thought I'd get my $0.02 in. I'm thinking maybe the dryer in the Danish oil will also dry the pine pitch a little. If it doesn't, I'll probably clear the oil off with mineral spirits, which seems to remove some of the surface pitch, but leaves it a little dull. Then either WOP or try the Danish again. Probably next week sometime.

Some bigger pictures:

174111 174112

robert baccus
12-16-2010, 11:17 PM
goodlooking pine gall. try wetsanding on those pitchy woods. i turn regular pine knots and longleaf pine stumps(fat wood) and some come out really nice. i think i would forget oil on this stuff. after wiping well with laq. thinner spray sanding sealer and laq. works well for me. good luck----------------ol forester

Art Kelly
12-16-2010, 11:38 PM
...try wetsanding on those pitchy woods

I figured I'd probably scare up at least one person who turns fatwood!

I forgot to mention my brief foray into wetsanding on the piece on the right. I had one ratty piece of 240 Wet-Or-Dry in the drawer which I used to good effect before it disintegrated. I was using the Danish as the liquid. What liquid do you use, Robert?

Art

Michael Mills
12-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Very nice looking pieces.
I have a two pieces of "fat lighter" log halves about three feet long. I did some flat work with them about 12 years ago, what a PAIN. Thought I may try turning some things for keepsakes as they were salvaged from a barn my GGDad built around 1896 in north Florida.
I have some coarse mesh paper (drywall) and some 320 grit mesh made by 3M for the automotive industry. I went back and read the other post that you referenced and I think I will try it with mineral spirits or turpentine.
Thanks for you info.

charlie knighton
12-17-2010, 2:07 PM
very nice, interesting, i have always avoided pine after an inital attempt