PDA

View Full Version : Maple HF

dan carter
12-16-2010, 8:48 PM
The grain chatoyance of this maple hf seems to change from every angle. Although small, 2 x 8, it catches your eye. The finish is brushed lacquer, min wax antique oil and buffed. Thanks for looking.

Tim Rinehart
12-16-2010, 8:51 PM
nice details Dan..that is some purdy maple! I can tell from your pics it has some nice chatoyance.

Michael James
12-16-2010, 9:00 PM
Nice piece, beautiful wood and very unique design..at least to me. I like it! Thanks for posting.
mj

Bill Bolen
12-16-2010, 9:12 PM
Great wood combination on a beautiful piece.

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2010, 9:13 PM
Interesting form Dan - don't believe I've seen that one before! Hey - with turnings - different is a good thing!

Sure is some beautiful maple! Can tell it really grabs the light! Nice work!

John Keeton
12-16-2010, 9:21 PM
Dan, very interesting form! Does the entire walnut(?) top come off? If it were larger, one might consider it as an urn.

That maple is something else - very nice.

David E Keller
12-16-2010, 9:24 PM
That's beautiful wood. The form is interesting and pretty unique. Nicely done.

dan carter
12-16-2010, 9:56 PM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;1586368]Dan, very interesting form! Does the entire walnut(?) top come off? If it were larger, one might consider it as an urn.

Yes, top finial comes off; but alas, it is leather brown dyed cherry. You are right, it would be a good design for an urn. I make a few urns, I'll keep this one in mind.

Baxter Smith
12-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Very pretty maple and wood combo. I think a pair of them would look great on a mantle or shelf. Got any more?

dan carter
12-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Very pretty maple and wood combo. I think a pair of them would look great on a mantle or shelf. Got any more?

Not turned, but have a pretty good supply of the same maple. That's not a bad idea, guess that can be on the list for tomorrow.

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2010, 11:12 PM
That is a beauty Dan and I like the wood combo.

Ron Stadler
12-17-2010, 1:44 AM
Very decorative piece, I like it

John Keeton
12-17-2010, 6:58 AM
Yes, top finial comes off; but alas, it is leather brown dyed cherry. You are right, it would be a good design for an urn. I make a few urns, I'll keep this one in mind.Dan, neat! Very nice color on the cherry, BTW. I wasn't sure on the walnut because of the red hue, but I really like this. Did you use Transtint brown?

dan carter
12-17-2010, 7:59 AM
Dan, neat! Very nice color on the cherry, BTW. I wasn't sure on the walnut because of the red hue, but I really like this. Did you use Transtint brown?

I use Omega Leathercraft Dark Brown. When brushing it on, there seems to a red color turning brown on cherry. Once it has dried, then it heat polished with a paper towel before finishing, this one then received watco indian sand carnuba wax/ minwax antique oil finish, and finally buffed.