PDA

View Full Version : Recommended shipper - Minimax MM20

Jim Matthews
12-16-2010, 8:18 PM
Jim from Westport, MA here.

I'm in search of a shipper to handle moving a Minimax MM20 from out of state to Mass.

The seller can manage setting it on a pallet, and strapping it down.
(It's not new - it's in the owner's garage.)

Has anyone here hired a shipper to move something this large?
(800 pounds, roughly speaking. 7' 4" tall)

Thanks all.
jim

William A. Parker
12-16-2010, 8:26 PM
Jim I would contact Minimax. They should be eager to help you! BYW great saw congratulations.
Bill

Rye Crane
12-17-2010, 1:31 PM
Jim,

You could call Fedex Ground. You will need to lay it on it's spine and strap it to a pallet or pallets. I would also encourage you
to take the table off and stow it next to the saw, also strapped down. I would also shrinkrap it or cover with a tarp. If you
build a crate around the saw you run the chance of them loading it on top of other freight and sometimes bad things happen.

Good luck,
Rye Crane

Tommy Squires
12-18-2010, 9:20 AM
Jim, you are right to be concerned. I have had three major pieces delivered new from MiniMax - two made it fine - third was badly damaged. MiniMax was great. Made it all right in the end. I mention them because even with all their experience, they too have trouble with finding shippers they can depend on. My new MM 24 was delivered as Rye suggests, laying on its spine with the table off and heavily crated. I take it you don't have control of the machine at the point of shipment. I would be prepared for damage. Inspect the item carefully before you accept it. Consider insurance. The key (IMHO) is in the packing.

Also good luck,

Tommy Squires

Chuck Wintle
12-18-2010, 9:33 AM
Jim from Westport, MA here.

I'm in search of a shipper to handle moving a Minimax MM20 from out of state to Mass.

The seller can manage setting it on a pallet, and strapping it down.
(It's not new - it's in the owner's garage.)

Has anyone here hired a shipper to move something this large?
(800 pounds, roughly speaking. 7' 4" tall)

Thanks all.
jim

what if you just hired a private shipper rather than the nig guys?

Larry Fox
12-18-2010, 10:34 AM
I had an MM-16 shipped from Oklahoma to Philadelphia and I went through Freight Quote. They are something of a portal where they can get quotes from a bunch of different shippers. Do yourself a favor and get liftgate service if you are at all concerned about getting it off the truck - am MM-20 is a heavy piece of gear. If I recall correctly, shipping my MM-16 was around $500 with insurance and liftgate and that was around 5 years ago. Hope it helps.

Jim Matthews
12-23-2010, 7:56 AM
Thank you to all who have contributed.
The FreightQuote portal has yielded offers around $1500 to move the machine - eroding my savings off new.

I'll likely use a piano mover or abandon the purchase entirely.

jim
wpt, ma

Philip Johnson
12-23-2010, 9:46 AM
I had a new MM 24 shipped from atlanta or texas wherever they are located to wisconsin as I recall it was around 350 for shipping with me picking it up at their freight dock. Just found the invoice it was shipped on USF Holland.

Greg Portland
12-23-2010, 5:24 PM
I had a new MM 24 shipped from atlanta or texas wherever they are located to wisconsin as I recall it was around 350 for shipping with me picking it up at their freight dock. Just found the invoice it was shipped on USF Holland.Picking it up from the freight terminal can be a large savings. They will have a forklift and can drop it onto your truck (Home Depo has drop-side trucks made for this & rent for $19/hr). Once you get it home you can put it on it's back and slide it down the ramp (with rollers & a come-along) or use an overhead lift.