PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought....

Fred Perreault
12-16-2010, 7:42 PM
I was spinning some natural edge locust root bowls yesterday and this morning, and as I was sanding and then sealing them I was thinking a lot about where I was less than 3 years ago, as far as turning is concerned. I had a typical 1960's Craftsman mono-tube lathe, and turning tools from the same era. Then, thinking where I'm at as of today, with the Holiday Season and all, I got kinda emotional, as I feel much of my very rapid progress is owed to the wisdom, experience and unselfish assistance of the many great participants on the Creek. It has been a fun ride, and I actually look forward to trudging through the snow, down to my well appointed, heated shop for the rest of the Winter.
Life doesn't get much better than this.... and for that I thank the Creeksters and all of my loving support here at home.

Baxter Smith
12-16-2010, 7:48 PM
I will ditto a lot of your thoughts as well Fred. It has been a fun year! Even trudged through an inch of snow out to my heated shop today as well.:D Will be doing it again tonight. Nice bowls by the way!

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2010, 8:17 PM
Fred you are right. It has been a fun year and doesn't get any better than this. Good looking bowls. I have to agree that SMC is great and the Creekers are awesome.

Tim Rinehart
12-16-2010, 8:24 PM
You know, we count the many blessings we have, that we recognize, but often forget those that we take for granted.
Good time to be thankful for all of it! Thanks SMC for providing a forum for us to share our passion and fellowship with others that enjoy working with wood!

John Keeton
12-16-2010, 8:28 PM
Fred, nice bowls, and a great message shared by many, I suspect. Three years ago, turning was the farthest thing from my mind!! My, how things have changed! We are all blessed beyond what we deserve. Great folks, here!

James Combs
12-16-2010, 8:42 PM
Fred you are right. It has been a fun year and doesn't get any better than this. Good looking bowls. I have to agree that SMC is great and the Creekers are awesome.

I'll amen that creeker brother.

dan carter
12-16-2010, 9:13 PM
Good thoughts expressed here. Good looking bowls; wonder what the next three years will bring?

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2010, 9:20 PM
Very nice work on the bowls Fred!

I have to admit that I am still amazed at the giving nature of turners - in general - and their overall willingness to help others - and not just with turning!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

David E Keller
12-16-2010, 9:28 PM
Nice looking turnings, and you're certainly right about SMC being a wonderful resource comprised of some really good people. Woodworkers seem to be a pretty good bunch with turners as the cream of the crop.

Richard Madden
12-16-2010, 9:47 PM
Very nice looking bowls, Fred, and I share your thoughts about a great bunch here.

Fred Perreault
12-16-2010, 9:52 PM
John Keeton.......... if your work is the product of only 3 years experience, then I guess that I have a lot more work to do.... :)

By the way..... this Sawmill Creek upgrade has gone smoother than most of the other tech upgrades I have seen in 15 years or more, big company or small. Great Job.

George Guadiane
12-16-2010, 11:57 PM
As has been said, those ARE some nice bowls...

I too have felt blessed to have the experience, intellect, insight and friendship offered here.
It has been a huge help in my turning evolution (I was going to say "REVOLUTION," but I thought it might come off as a bit cornball).
Thanks to all who have been her to answer questions, offer suggestions and ASK questions too.

Sometimes, it has been a question raised that has provided the best opportunity for general advancement. Keep em coming.

Ray Bell
12-17-2010, 1:52 AM
Nice bowls, and I would agree with your message. This is fun, and there are a great bunch of folks on this forum.

Roland Martin
12-17-2010, 7:07 AM
Those are certainly nice bowls with great color. It's been a year since I started turning, with not enough time to spend at the lathe. Everybody here has helped tremendously in the learning curve, selflessly, and appreciated beyond words. One would have to read many books & watch many DVDs to even come close to the overall knowledge aquired here. Thank you all!!

Thom Sturgill
12-17-2010, 7:37 AM
Nice bowls and nice comments. I've been at this two and a half years now, moved from a Jet 1220 I bought in response to that article on getting started for $600...Several thousand later I'm turning on a Jet1642 and have probably $3K in tools - thanks to you guys! Been a fun, and educational ride.