PDA

View Full Version : Northwood 8 inch jointer questions

Joseph D'Orazio
12-16-2010, 5:28 PM
I can see some Northwood jointers online but none with this model number. The guy who is teaching me woodworking has offered me this jointer for $250.

Model Number SJ 2030A
Single Phase
110-220

Do any of you have any knowledge about these or would you maybe be willing to point me in the right direction? The bed is pretty darn long but I failed to measure it. I will tomorrow though.

Joseph D'Orazio
12-16-2010, 7:19 PM
I made an error in the above post. The machine is a NorthField 8" jointer. I still can not find one with that model number though.... It looks very much like the one in this thread though → http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?59945-Restoring-a-8-quot-Northfield-Jointer

Gary Herrmann
12-16-2010, 7:22 PM
Google Old Woodworking Machinery

Ed Labadie
12-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Call & ask Northfield about it. http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/contact.php

For $250.00, I wouldn't be able to get the cash out fast enough.

Ed

Joseph D'Orazio
12-17-2010, 7:21 AM
Call & ask Northfield about it. http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/contact.php

For $250.00, I wouldn't be able to get the cash out fast enough.

Ed
Yes, I did indeed fill that form out last night. I will probably call them today though. I will get the machine though. I filled my shop up with Craftsman stuff before I knew any better. I have been struggling with accuracy, and things like that with it. My brand new Craftsman band saw keeps chuncking blades out at me. My table saw has those plastic tables on it and a fence that just will not 90 up for me. Router table sucks. I just didnt know any better. Thats why I am bugging yall about this planer. I just wanted to hear that it is the type of tool that can actually be worked with. I will sell the rest of that crud and replace it as I can. I do thank yall for putting up with me and your patience

Chip Lindley
12-17-2010, 2:41 PM
Northfield is to Craftsman, as BMW is to....Ugo? IF the 8" Northfield has two tables and a fence, it is worth every penny! The worst would be if that jointer has babbit bearings that need repouring. (time for a Shelix head?!?!) Replacing a 3-phase motor (or NO motor) is a small issue.

Find information on Northfield jointers over at owwm.com (forums) and owwm.org (photos and history)

Joseph D'Orazio
12-17-2010, 7:57 PM
Northfield is to Craftsman, as BMW is to....Ugo? IF the 8" Northfield has two tables and a fence, it is worth every penny! The worst would be if that jointer has babbit bearings that need repouring. (time for a Shelix head?!?!) Replacing a 3-phase motor (or NO motor) is a small issue.

Find information on Northfield jointers over at owwm.com (forums) and owwm.org (photos and history)You know what guys? I am a meathead. Tis true. I went this morning a looked again and this time I wrote the name down. Its Northtech. Its Taiwan made. Says so right on it. I apologise to all of yall for that. I did indeed buy it though. I need it. Its heavier than my little shop can support. I do own the property next door though and it has a huge warehouse that I used to pull tractor trailers into. I am going to set it in there, unload my Craftsman garbage and slowly get the proper tools. I know that I am not going to be on yalls level for a while but I am patient. I had a good time today at Freds shop (my teacher). I love learning under him. I found out today that he is an active National Guard Colonel and is a chaplain with them. He enjoys teaching me. I have a good thing going here.

Ed Labadie
12-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Everyone makes mistakes, thats life.
An 8" jointer for $250, well, thats a deal, send one my way, please.
It's a step up from what you currently have, thats a good thing, all is well.

Ed

Chip Lindley
12-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey, just about any 8" jointer for $250 is a heck of a deal. The NorthTech is a generic Chinese jointer. Nothing special, except that it will joint 8" wide. Go for it!

Joseph D'Orazio
12-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Hey, just about any 8" jointer for $250 is a heck of a deal. The NorthTech is a generic Chinese jointer. Nothing special, except that it will joint 8" wide. Go for it!

174292I saw that too. This one does not have that roll stand. I was thinking that would be a bad idea to have one on a stand like that.

Chip Lindley
12-18-2010, 3:02 PM
...This one does not have that roll stand. I was thinking that would be a bad idea to have one on a stand like that.

Not really! A decent mobile stand makes moving heavy machines easy. The jointer is not as top-heavy as you may think. And, the wheels lock so that the machine will not roll off errantly. Many make theirs out of wood with off-the-shelf casters. IMO, any stand is better than none, IF it is sturdy enough to support the machine. There are kits available from Rockler and others that allow you to make the mobile base any size you wish.

Joseph D'Orazio
01-26-2011, 11:26 AM
I have brought this Jointer home. It is the exact jointer pictured above. NorthTech. It is a 220 volt machine. The plate says

Model #SJ-2030A
Date 06\2000
Serial 1156422
Phase 1
Horse Power 2
Volts 230\110

The plug is 220-when there is a dual voltage on the plate does that mean it can be converted to 110? Not that I want to, I am just curious.

Matt Day
01-26-2011, 3:23 PM
I believe so, but there should be a wiring diagram on the motor as well to show you what to change.

Joseph D'Orazio
01-26-2011, 7:10 PM
I believe so, but there should be a wiring diagram on the motor as well to show you what to change.
Thank you Matt.