PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw X5 Reference point question

Randy Digby
12-16-2010, 4:52 PM
When an object (text box, shape, etc.) is selected, the X & Y coordinates locates the center of the selected object in reference to the sheet point of origin. Is there any way to change the reference point of the X and Y coordinates to give the location of, say, the top left corner of the object? This is a selectable function in EngraveLab with a series of 9 dots located next to the X & Y coordinates. Can - and how - do I do this in Corel Draw X5? Thanks.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
12-17-2010, 11:04 AM
You can do this easily via the Transformation docker.

..here something I haven't told *anybody* about yet..it's going out first on the Creek.

1- you will need SP2 installed as this feature was new to SP2...go to help, About CorelDRAW and verify that the build is 661 (er..I think it's 661)
2- Go to Tools>Options>Workspace
3- Click on the bincoulars and search for "Object Origin"
4- Drag that puppy onto the standard toolbar
5- Click the upper left hand icon on this sucker

!Voila!

FWIW, I planned on making a movie on this and posting it to the youtube/coreldrawchannel ...give me 'till next week to get this done.

T.

Roy Brewer
12-17-2010, 1:18 PM
You can do this easily via the Transformation docker.Tony,

A great tip. Thanks for sharing. Can you provide a link to the recent webinar you gave?

Randy Digby
12-17-2010, 6:32 PM
Tony,
I have version 15.2.0.661. When I select Tools>Options>Workspace, I am at the top of a tree of several selections and cannot find bincoulars to use. I know I must be missing something simple, but I can't get beyond that point.
Thanks,
Randy

Ruben Salcedo
12-17-2010, 6:52 PM
Randy,

actually this is the straight path, Tools>Options>Workspace>Customization>Commands and finally the Binoculars, I was in the same boat as you, but I venture to explore until I found the famous binoculars. :)

Ruben

Randy Digby
12-17-2010, 7:21 PM
Thanks Tony & Ruben. That is exactly what I've been looking for.
Have a good weekend.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
12-20-2010, 2:05 PM
Tony,

A great tip. Thanks for sharing. Can you provide a link to the recent webinar you gave?

Thanks for asking!

Corel is switching from gotomeeting to WebEx...as a result all the webinars have to be moved to a new service and be linked in again, which is in the works. Once this is done I'll post an update.

T.

Gary Hair
12-20-2010, 2:34 PM
Tony you are my newest hero! I can't tell you how many times I have drawn something and then have to make guides at 0,0 to drag the object to the upper left corner for lasering. This will allow me to change the origin and type 0's in the X and Y origin and viola, the object is "home". THANKS!

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
01-06-2011, 3:04 PM
Tony, A great tip. Thanks for sharing. Can you provide a link to the recent webinar you gave?

I know that links are typically discouraged on these forums..but hopefully this one will be approved by the moderators...
I just noticed….some of you mentioned that you wanted to know when it went live.

http://www.corel.com/content/flash/cdgsx5/en/cdgsx5_essential_tips_webinar.html

T.