PDA

View Full Version : Cherry gloat

Ken Hill
12-16-2010, 3:42 PM
Managed to snake out some cherry blanks during this snow storm.

I cant handle that big one, its huge:D

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC2395/1128592549_hyFbt-L.jpg

Jim Underwood
12-16-2010, 3:44 PM
What cherry? Whose cherry? Where is the cherry?

No pix, didn't happen.

Wish't I could be there helpin ya man. I need some bigger blanks this year...

bob svoboda
12-16-2010, 3:57 PM
Looks like some sweeeeeet turning stock. Good gloat!

Jim Underwood
12-16-2010, 4:02 PM
Doh! There they are....

Ken Hill
12-16-2010, 4:03 PM
There is more then that, the kids are cleaning the shop now then I will break in the new Thompson Bowl Gouge!

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2010, 4:51 PM
Wow! Congrats on the Cherry - looks great!

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-16-2010, 5:03 PM
Ken,
I hope you didn't use your sore back as a reason for the kids to sweep up your shavings. The cherry looks beautiful. I can't believe you folks are getting snow and in the Poconos we still haven't seen a flurry. We do have our share of cold and wind. We're setting up a couple of the last tent rentals of the season and it's been brutal outside. Be sure top post some pix of the cherry rough outs.
faust

charlie knighton
12-16-2010, 7:23 PM
nice cherry

Ken Hill
12-16-2010, 7:32 PM
Faust, you can have the snow. I only like a few inches of fresh snow during deer season, other then that FOOOEEYY on it!

I roughed out this one this evening. Rough dim. are 8.5 x 4 and the bark just wouldnt stay on it. Not sure if the bark stays on better if cut during the summer, but it didnt want tos tay on here at all.

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR4952/1128764549_9ggCP-L.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR4954/1128764689_wJiQ5-L.jpg

Baxter Smith
12-16-2010, 7:33 PM
Some nice looking wood! Looking forward to seeing what you "turn" it into!

Baxter Smith
12-16-2010, 7:34 PM
Never had a wish come true that fast.

Ken Hill
12-16-2010, 7:35 PM
I aim to please LOL!

Ray Bell
12-16-2010, 7:38 PM
Beautiful Cherry blanks Ken. I know you will make some very nice stuff from this. Take care of that back!

Ken Hill
12-16-2010, 7:48 PM
Thanks for the back sentiments. Ihave been taking it easy really. My knees are killing me from climbing on and off the tractor more then my back is bothering me thankfully. Only a slight spasm here and there is all I have had the past few days. Ive been running the Sthil non stop and it feels good to be mobile again. Its amazing how once the spasms lighten up things get back to normal pretty quick. Getting old sucks, but im going out of this world the same way I came in to it...covered in blood and screaming! Cant imagine laying around at 90 so im going to get all used up haha!

Baxter, I sealed that huge blank and it has your name on it! Fingers crossed no checks and I left it a tad long for a cut back if needed.

Two thumbs up for the Thompson 1/2 V gouge. That sucker removes wood and can cut a nice clean line. I still have some learning to do but she sure is sweet!

Michael James
12-16-2010, 8:12 PM
Getting old sucks, but im going out of this world the same way I came in to it...covered in blood and screaming! Cant imagine laying around at 90 so im going to get all used up haha!

I'll give you an "AMEN, brother" on that! This ain't dress rehearsal, so go for it!:)

btw... I have cherry envy. Nice gloat.
Michael

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2010, 8:14 PM
Now that is some good looking cherry. Congrats.

Baxter Smith
12-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Alright, you've got me curious. How huge is huge?:D Just have to take another 24 hour drive before I can do that 8 again.:)

Ken Hill
12-17-2010, 5:23 AM
It worth of a big set of bowls haha. I will measure it.

I am trying to get down to Bombay Hook to do some camera work, hopefully next week

Tony De Masi
12-17-2010, 8:56 AM
Nice stuff there Ken. So when is the next get together. Hopefully I will be able to make it this time.

Baxter Smith
12-17-2010, 2:33 PM
It worth of a big set of bowls haha. I will measure it.

I am trying to get down to Bombay Hook to do some camera work, hopefully next week

I am about an hour south of the Hook. Great place for Geese. V after V of snows flew over here a little before dusk a couple of nights ago heading in that direction. They were so loud I heard them from inside my shop and went outside to watch. A friend rented a blind right outside the refuge close to 30 years ago now. Got my first double on Canada's there. I was kind of tickled!:D As good as you can do with an OU.

I would gladly meet you somewhere, or you could swing by here and try out a full size lathe and a coring system. Grab a bite to eat as well!

Ken Hill
12-17-2010, 4:08 PM
Tony, any time is ok with me, doesnt have to be a group deal if you want to grab some wood

Baxter, I will see how my schedule looks and see if its possible for a run before you head north, if not after is ok too.

Baxter Smith
12-17-2010, 6:39 PM
Whatever works for you is fine. Just sent you another pm as I hadn't seen this one. Somehow my computer switched over and wasn't showing the posts in linear mode.

Rob Cunningham
12-17-2010, 8:05 PM
That's some nice looking cherry. All the wild grain should make pretty bowls.