PDA

View Full Version : New Mustard Drill Press.

John M. Cioffi
12-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Just got the New PM2800 drill press. So far, works great, but I'm unable to hook up anything to the dust port. Need feedback from those of you who have this unit. I went to both Rockler & Woodcraft; I called tech support @ Powermatic & still got nowhere. I cannot understand why they would make an improved machine yet be difficient in the dust collection. Why aren't these things more standardized? No one has an adaptor to fit!
What is your solution? :eek::confused:

Joe Leigh
12-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Congrats on the new toy!
Drill presses are notoriously difficult to adapt any sort of dust collection to. Do a search here to see some of the ways some members have solved this issue.

Oh, and we'll need some pics to verify the gloat...

pat warner
12-16-2010, 12:14 PM
In my view, on the drill press, fixtured vacuuming is folly.
Every drilling app is unique and so is every chip collection challenge.
Takes a lot of stuff (http://patwarner.com/images/holding_jig.jpg) to drill precisely and there's no more room for fixtured vac tools.
So now what?
Get a free hand and vacuum right at the cutter.
How? X clamping the work and using a foot switch you get a one free hand.

Matt Meiser
12-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I struggled to make something that worked for DC at the drill press for years until I found the Stay-Put hose at Woodcraft. This works great because I can position it wherever it works best. I used the 4" for maximum airflow to pick up big forstner bit chips and didn't bother with any kind of hood or nozzle.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021187/25938/Dust-Collection-Hose-StayPut-4-OD-x-36.aspx

Dave Zellers
12-16-2010, 1:54 PM
I struggled to make something that worked for DC at the drill press for years until I found the Stay-Put hose at Woodcraft.]
Very good to hear that- I just bought one of those from Rockler for my DP but haven't hooked it up yet.

Joe Scarfo
12-16-2010, 4:22 PM
I use the stay put hose and it works great in conjunction with an item I picked up from peachtree that mounts to the drill press.... and teh stay put hose mounts to it.. if I can find it I'll post it here...

Good Luck
joe

ok... i don't know how to post links.. but if you google peachtree woodworking... then search for drill press dust collection.. you will see the item I bought.... it works great...

Good Luck again

Van Huskey
12-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Given the relative small number of PM2800 owners you may get a response if you include the OD of the dust collection port.

Frank Drew
12-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Drill presses don't make much of a mess beyond their immediate vicinity, so if you can't get a dust collection system hooked up it won't be as bad as, say, a planer or table saw with no dust collection.

glenn bradley
12-17-2010, 2:04 PM
I use the stuff Matt points to:

pat warner
12-17-2010, 6:01 PM
It takes but one chip, whence precision drilling (http://patwarner.com/images/drilling1.jpg), to foul the nest of the next piece. For ordinary rough work, I agree, a rough clean up is all that is necessary.

David Winer
12-17-2010, 6:43 PM
Just got the New PM2800 drill press. So far, works great, but I'm unable to hook up anything to the dust port. Need feedback from those of you who have this unit. I went to both Rockler & Woodcraft; I called tech support @ Powermatic & still got nowhere. I cannot understand why they would make an improved machine yet be difficient in the dust collection. Why aren't these things more standardized? No one has an adaptor to fit!
What is your solution? :eek::confused:
John, I have had similar difficulties with an older machine. Until a permanent solution (proper adapter) becomes available, wrap tape, any kind, around the male or female part that is too small. Continue woodworking.

BTW, my drill press has no dust collection capability, but it sure could use something when used heavily.

Bruce Page
12-17-2010, 7:12 PM
It takes but one chip, whence precision drilling (http://patwarner.com/images/drilling1.jpg), to foul the nest of the next piece. For ordinary rough work, I agree, a rough clean up is all that is necessary.

Pat, nice looking jig.