PDA

View Full Version : Old lalthe help

Andrew Gibson
12-16-2010, 11:50 AM
I inherited this Lathe from my Fiancées Grandfather, which is great because I didn't have a lathe.
It had a lag screw type center for a chuck. the faceplate is threaded though the spindle is not and I believe the faceplate was locktited on. the spindle appears to be designed to be used with a set screw to attach the chuck/faceplate/whatever.

The lag screw finally broke off so I have to go with something better.
My question is, what do I need to get this thing working? and how little can I get away with spending? is this even worth my time?

Here are some pic's I am sure they tell the story better then I can.

Bill Bolen
12-16-2010, 9:38 PM
Andrew I couldn't stand to see your post go unanswered! Although you might find yourself more satisfied with a modern min lathe this one looks like it can still turn a bit of wood. Not sure but the spindle looks to be 3/4X16 and you will need to make sure of that before replacing your face plate or buying a new screw center face plate. Chucks are also avaliable in that size. Good luck with your restoration...Bill..

David E Keller
12-16-2010, 9:43 PM
I've never seen a lathe with a smooth spindle... Any chance there are threads under all that rust? If not, I think there may be adapters that you can jam into the morse taper to provide threads for attaching faceplates and chucks. If not, you could still use it for spindle turning and pens if you can determine the morse taper size(I'd guess MT1, but it's just a guess).

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2010, 9:48 PM
Looks a lot like the Craftsman Mono-Tube lathe I have - circa 1953 - and it has a threaded 3/4" - 16 tpi spindle with a MT1. They were fairly common lathes and you may be able to locate a new spindle that would fit your existing lathe. Big question is - how much time and energy do you want to put into it?

Paul Williams
12-16-2010, 9:52 PM
What size is the spindle? I might have some accessories that would fit. 35 years ago I built up a kit lathe that had set screw accessories. I dismantled the lathe a long time ago but someplace in the storeage shed is a box that should have a few drive centers and face plates with set screws. You can have them for postage if they happen to be the right size. Is it worth your time? Depends on if you enjoy fixing up and using an old tool or if restoring it to working condition will mean anything to your fiancee. I turned quite a few things on my homebuilt lathe, but if you get into turning you will end up buying a more capable lathe. At that time you can turn this one into a dedicated small project lathe or buffing station.

Andrew Gibson
12-16-2010, 9:59 PM
Thanks for the replies all.
Paul that would be great, I think it would be worth my time. I will have to check the spindle size and get back to you.
I do a lot of had tool work so fixing up and using old tools is something I very much enjoy.

Paul Williams
12-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Clean up that spindle. If Steve is right and it is a craftsman mono tube there are a lot of parts around. I think I know of 3 that are sitting in basements unused. I thought it was too short to be the craftsman. I think the parts I have are 5/8 inch but I will have to dig them out and measure to be sure.

Ruperto Mendiones
12-16-2010, 11:52 PM
I inherited this Lathe from my Fiancées Grandfather, which is great because I didn't have a lathe.
It had a lag screw type center for a chuck. the faceplate is threaded though the spindle is not and I believe the faceplate was locktited on. the spindle appears to be designed to be used with a set screw to attach the chuck/faceplate/whatever.

The lag screw finally broke off so I have to go with something better.
My question is, what do I need to get this thing working? and how little can I get away with spending? is this even worth my time?

Here are some pic's I am sure they tell the story better then I can.
Looks like the faceplate has internal threads. Try cleaning it or "spooging it"

The folks at owwm.org will have tons of help and identification to assist you.

Ruperto
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Andrew Gibson
12-17-2010, 8:40 AM
OK I was able to get the spindle cleaned up a bit with some DA and a bit of sand paper.
It would appear at one time that it was threaded, however if it was there is no bringing them back. there is an indentation for a set screw, but I am not sure how long it has been there but it has definitely been used with a set screw because there is a bit of scoring from when the screw loosened and slipped.
the OD of the spindle is 11/16" and I believe the ID is 1/2"

I tried searching for info am craftsman Mono tube lathes but came up empty.

Andrew Gibson
12-17-2010, 2:41 PM
OK I have been doing some reasearch... this would have been so much easier if I had the belt cover plate.
It would appear that the spindle was threaded and most likely was 3/4 x 16. that being said the threads are completely gone and I can only guess the 16 is the right thread count. the inside seems to match the dimensions of a MT1. Great I think I can get a spur center, which I have found for pretty cheep. second I think I can find a mt1 to 3/4x10 adapter and run just about any chuck I want. there is one at HF that would do fine for my proposes and this lathe... problem is that I guess there is no such thing as a MT1 threaded to 3/4x10. best I can find is an mt1 with a 2" chuck by grizzly. I would think that something larger then a 2" chuck would be nice. I am also guessing that the 2" chuck would be more commonly used on a metal lathe... I feel like I am starting to go in circles.

Michael Mills
12-17-2010, 4:35 PM
1+ on the suggestion www.owwm.com/ (http://www.owwm.com/) (Old Wood-Working Machines)
The faceplate should be fine. My lathe has a 16" swing and the chuck is 3". I would drill a couple more holes.
As far as the bed length, it may be shorter than original. I had a Jet tube lathe and mounted a very unbalanced section of wood...:o I just stood aside. It had a rib underneath that the tailstock slid on which broke and was too expensive to repair. A chop saw took it from 42" to about 22" with no problem and I had a Jet mini lathe.
In a video by Dale Stubbs he showed a screw chuck he made. A faceplate with a bolt through it (head on the interior) and nut on the outside.
I don’t know if it is possible or how much it would cost but….
Remove the spindle and have it trued up. Have an adapter made to slide over it, weld in place, and cut new 1" x 8 threads on it. Or the group at OWWT may know where to buy a new one cheaper.

Dennis Simmons
12-17-2010, 5:29 PM
Do a Google search for Craftsman 113.23801, this will help you find any thing you need for this lathe. I have a 42 model, and I use my 1948 model that my father bought, every day, these are good lathes and I'm from the old school. I also have, and use, a lathe like yours. I,m now building a face plate lathe out of a 1948 craftsman drill press :) I would be happy to answer any questions you have, I have restored a lot of tools.

Trevor Walsh
12-17-2010, 6:52 PM
If you're in dire need, I could probably turn you up a new spindle or if the old one isn't too work weld additional stock and re-thread the old one when I go back to work mid January. I'd just need a whole bunch of measurements. Or preferably the headstock assembly. I could put whatever imperial thread you want on the spindle too. What do you think?

Andrew Gibson
12-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks Trevor, but it sounds like a little more work then this lathe is worth at the moment. I also want to get it up and running fairly quick because I want to try and turn a few knobs for a piece that has to be done before the end of January.

Thanks Denis I will dig through google a bit more.

I just joined over at OWWM so I plan to ask around over there as well and see what I can dig up.

Trevor Walsh
12-18-2010, 8:20 AM
Okay, let me know what you wind up doing, I hate to this little guy dead. haha. Fixing old tools is one of the best things.

Curt Fuller
12-18-2010, 10:23 AM
That looks like someone cut the tube bed short to make an old Craftsman into a mini lathe. They might also have machined the threads off to convert it to a 5/8" smooth spindle similar to the Shopsmith lathes. A guy in our turning club turns on a Shopsmith and I think he's been able to get smooth 5/8" inserts from Oneway to use their Talon chuck along with some faceplates that also fit. http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/adaptors.htm
http://www.oneway.ca/faceplates/index.htm#table1 If the inside morse taper isn't too rusted, the standard #1 morse taper accessories should also work.