PDA

View Full Version : Extending the Mandrel on the 3-on-Lathe Beall Buff System

David Moore CA
12-15-2010, 11:33 PM
I've been using the Beall system but find the 3 wheels are too close together. Has anyone tried extending the mandrel? Maybe welding a piece of metal in the middle or has someone figured out an easier way?

Nathan Hawkes
12-15-2010, 11:44 PM
You can accomplish more or less the same thing with a piece of threaded rod, a drill chuck, and a live center tailstock, provided you use two nuts on each side of the buffing wheels, and large enough washers.

Jim Sebring
12-16-2010, 12:29 AM
The Beall system is great for small items like pens, but doesn't work well for bowls and such. That's why I converted my buffing wheels to work on Don Pencil's extended mandrels. I use an 8 inch mandrel on my Jet 1220 and have a 12 inch one for my DVR xp. Those get the wheels well away from the headstock and allow much fredom of motion while buffing.

David Moore CA
12-16-2010, 2:00 AM
You can accomplish more or less the same thing with a piece of threaded rod, a drill chuck, and a live center tailstock, provided you use two nuts on each side of the buffing wheels, and large enough washers.

Good idea. The rod with the Beall system is 3/4 inch and most MT2 drill chucks seem to only go up to 5/8. I wonder if the Beall buffs would work OK on a smaller rod, maybe 1/2" using the nuts and washers to secure the wheels?

Robert McGowen
12-16-2010, 10:38 AM
I just use one wheel at a time on the Beall mandrel. Cut a piece of 3/4" pipe to slip over the mandrel, put the washer, one wheel, another washer, then another piece of 3/4" pipe on the mandrel and snug the end nut up against the pipe.