PDA

View Full Version : Computer On Life Support

Frank Defert
12-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Hello Everyone,

The computer that I am typing this from is on life support and very near it's end. I need to get a new computer but my biggest concern is my laser. Which operating system is best suited for the laser XP or Windows 7 ? This computer's first job will be to run the laser and second will be anything else.

Thanks, Frank

Garrett Nors
12-15-2010, 11:58 PM
I've run my laser on XP as well as Win 7 with no ill-effects. Make sure Epilog has a compatible driver (32bit vs 64 bit, depending on your new computer).

john passek
12-16-2010, 1:22 AM
I'm running Vista 64 bit and have had no issues.

Chris Mahoney
12-16-2010, 7:37 AM
Either of them works great.

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-16-2010, 8:01 AM
If you are purchasing a new computer you will probably have little choice. Its going to be windows 7. If your building one or purchasing a used system then you can probably get an XP. Currently microsoft does not allow windows XP to ship with new machines.

There are some issues with Eplilogs 64bit dirvers but there are work arounds. Again on a new machine its now likly to be 64bit. All these venders better get their act together and embrace 64 bit as in a year or two you wont be able to purchase a PC with the 32 bit version of the OS installed.

Currently I have 13 machines and all run 64-bit win7 save for one that is running 32bit win 7. Its for running my CNC machens. Mach 3 does not support 64bit.

James Leonard
12-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi,

You can get a PowerSpec from Microcenter running an XP downgrade.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0347375

I just bought one of these for my wife. $399 and it comes with a Windows 7 64 bit DVD just in case. You should upgrade this to 4GB RAM if you think you may go Win7 64 bit in the future.

-James Leonard

Anthony Scira
12-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Buying a new computer with XP would be a mistake and would not advise going around looking for a downgrade. Win7 has an XP mode that allows it to emulate XP for those programs that are not compatible with the new OS. (Windows 7 Home Pro and above)

And Epilog has 64 bit drivers so you should be set with just about any computer you buy.

Frank Defert
12-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks to all who replied!

The decision is now an easy one .... Windows 7. Now to start shopping around to see what can be had and for how much.

Thanks, Frank

Terry Swift
12-18-2010, 9:49 AM
Even with Win7, using the XP Mode is one of those - if it works, it works - doesn't then crap on it.

To run XP, Vista, MAC, or any other program on your Windows box, use a Virtual OS Program - one is VMWare and Microshaft even has one. VMWare used to have a freebie, but don't know if they do that now; but it allows you to run ANY OS in a "virtual" mode in Windows; it's running that OS in a separate window / mode just like it runs if it was the main system. When you close it, it's like closing a windows program. No booting to multiple operating systems or needing to set up everything to run in XP Mode if even doable. Works if you have PhotoGrav older versions, etc.