PDA

View Full Version : Pendants and Thank You

Baxter Smith
12-15-2010, 5:10 PM
A couple days ago I asked where some of you got your hardware for pendants and ear rings. Got lots of good suggestions but I ended up going to Michaels because it was close and I could look at what I never look at.:) Learned all sorts of new terms:p as well.

Got these fishhooks and jump rings.

Should have gotten slightly larger ones but these were the biggest they had.

At present this is what I have come up with.
If any of you more experienced in this than I have thoughts on revisions I would be glad to here them. I am sure that I will recieve more suggestions as to what I could have used when they are recieved.;)
L to R. Delaware Spalted Maple. West Virginia Walnut, and Maine Cherry Burl

Sorry I didn't take any in progress pictures Ken. Here is what I used.
Ordered it from Ruth Niles along with some bottle stoppers.
Simply put, you just take a thin piece cut on the bandsaw and stick it to the double stick tape. Orienting the grain when you stick it on as to how you want it to appear when you are finished is helpful. I just kept forgetting!:)
Go to YoYospin.com and click on the tutorials, then pendants for a demo on how to do it.
Thanks again for your help!

Ken Hill
12-15-2010, 5:19 PM
Looks good Baxter and thanks for the info!!!

David E Keller
12-15-2010, 7:53 PM
I like them, Baxter. The simple forms let the wood do the talking. What brand of DS tape do you use? I haven't been real happy with what I've been able to find locally.

Wally Wenzel
12-15-2010, 8:12 PM
The only dss tape i will trust i get from craft supply, a bit spendy but worth it. Wally

Michael James
12-15-2010, 8:29 PM
Baxter,
I've been meaning to tell you that you seem to be a prolific turning machine, and cranking out some nice quality stuff! Are you hitting your stride or have I missed your stuff in the past??? Very impressive and inspiring to the novice!
Thanks for posting,
mj

Tony Pridmore
12-15-2010, 8:36 PM
I like them, Baxter. The simple forms let the wood do the talking. What brand of DS tape do you use? I haven't been real happy with what I've been able to find locally.

Have you tried the duck tape brand? It's been working well for pendants. I'm sure there's some good tape here: http://www.findtape.com/category/tape-double-sided-carpet-tape-film-paper-tape.aspx The problem will be sorting through the selection to determine which is most appropriate.

Tony Pridmore
12-15-2010, 8:41 PM
Great looking jewelry. Are you tying the leather necklace or attaching clasps?

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2010, 9:32 PM
Really nice Baxter. Well done.

Scott Lux
12-15-2010, 9:50 PM
Baxter,

Those are great looking. If you had plain wood I'd suggest some grooves from one of the offsets. But with wood like those, you're spot on.

I you do experiment with grooves and you find a pattern you like, write down the offset # and the positions of the faceplate.

David, I've used Duck brand double-stick and woodcraft's brand. Both work well, but be sure to let either one stand a while before turning.

dan carter
12-15-2010, 10:00 PM
The double stick tape from Walmart works. It's in the paint section. I clamp pendant assembly in a vise for abit before turning.

Baxter Smith
12-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the positive comments!

Thanks David. Simple is me.:) Kind of like my bowls I suppose. I admire the decorative rims but when it comes time for me to put one on an interesting piece of wood, I seem to think "next time".:)

The tape roll has "Tesa Tape Inc. 4905" on the inside. It has to be at least a 10 year old roll. Don't remember where I got it or what I planned on doing with it. I was surprised it was still good when I tried it out. I googled it and it is still "out there". It worked well and was good for multiple uses except on the walnut where it seemed to pull off little pieces. Pressing the blank to the mount with a little block of wood on the tail stock while rounding it kept it pretty well stuck later.

Great looking jewelry. Are you tying the leather necklace or attaching clasps?
Thanks Tony. I didn't realize that I could attach clasps to the leather until I saw a picture of one. Didn't even focus on that while I was at the store. Just grabbed some leather at the last minute. For now they are just cut long. I guess I will leave it up to the recipient to tie though I probably should get some clasps so they could adjust them to their liking and I could complete them. Thanks for asking and giving me that idea!

Baxter,

Those are great looking. If you had plain wood I'd suggest some grooves from one of the offsets. But with wood like those, you're spot on.

I you do experiment with grooves and you find a pattern you like, write down the offset # and the positions of the faceplate.

David, I've used Duck brand double-stick and woodcraft's brand. Both work well, but be sure to let either one stand a while before turning.
Thanks Scott. I tried a couple grooves with 2 of the maple pieces in the picture to start but knd of thought it was a distraction. Didn't use it again except for the walnut.
I remember reading somewhere about trying some different combinations on practice
wood, writing down the numbers and keeping them to go by. As usual, I just grabbed my best scraps and practiced. Some made it and some......:)

Nathan Hawkes
12-15-2010, 11:56 PM
The double stick tape from Walmart works. It's in the paint section. I clamp pendant assembly in a vise for abit before turning.

+1 on the walmart tape, which I believe is "DUCK" brand tape. VERY sticky, and CHEAP!

Edit: the suggestion on waiting is a good one! Also, using the tailstock is always a good move to get the best hold.

Baxter Smith
12-16-2010, 9:43 AM
Baxter,
I've been meaning to tell you that you seem to be a prolific turning machine, and cranking out some nice quality stuff! Are you hitting your stride or have I missed your stuff in the past??? Very impressive and inspiring to the novice!
Thanks for posting,
mj
Thanks Michael. I am very fortunate to have a comfortable/heated shop and both the time and interst to play. Purchased a lathe from the widow of a good friend quite a while ago but never had the time to use it much or do anything other than simple spindle work. Being retired and finding this site gave me the help I needed to try different things. Having someones 30 year collection of nice turning tools hasn't hurt either. I barely know how to use a fraction of them.

Ken Hill
12-16-2010, 9:49 AM
Baxter is hell on wheels folks, he is non stop go go go!

Donny Lawson
05-30-2011, 9:09 AM
Baxter, I know this is an older thread but I'm finally working on some pendants and wondering if you are putting the leather ends together yet or not? I went to Hobby Lobby and found a few clasps that might work but I'm going to try something different today. I didn't really like the clasps that I bought so I went to Lowes and looked around the electrical dept. and found some small 1/4"long pieces of copper in a pack of 50. They have a 1/8 or 3/16 hole in them and you use a crimping tool to flatten them. I thought of sliding each end of the leather in opposite ends of the copper tube and use the crimpping tool to put it together and hopefully it will look good. I have to mow the yard and dig a 800ft small ditch today but I hope to have time to finish this pendant today. If so I will post a picture.

Baxter Smith
05-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Baxter, I know this is an older thread but I'm finally working on some pendants and wondering if you are putting the leather ends together yet or not?..........
Sorry Donny, but I don't have any advice to give. These were given as stocking stuffers and the recipients simply tied them. Haven't had the need so I have not done any more since these were posted. Too many other things to try. Hope you post what you come up with!