PDA

View Full Version : Brass threaded connections for dowel rods?

Doug Carpenter
12-15-2010, 4:57 PM
I am wondering if anyone know where to get threaded brass conections that fit dowels rods.

a friend of mine wants to make a 4 peice rod for cleaning a gun and we don't know who might have the parts?

thanks, Doug

Jamie Buxton
12-15-2010, 5:17 PM
Fittings like that are used in making pool cues.

Doug Carpenter
12-15-2010, 5:24 PM
I suppose. if they aren't to big. Vintage shotguns sometimes came with cleaning kits taht had three or four peice rods. They were wood but they had brass fittings on the ends.

lee valley has cane joins but they are too big. A 12gauge shotgun is a little less than 3/4 of an inch in diameter.

Carl Carew
12-15-2010, 6:40 PM
How about fishing rod ferrels? Newer rods usually don't use them but they are still available for older rods, look for rod building supplies on google. They are not threaded but are a relatively tight friction fit.

Carl

Ryan Baker
12-15-2010, 6:50 PM
You could use threaded brass standoffs, available from any electronics supplier in smooth cylindrical or hexagonal ... and in aluminum, steel, or nylon too in a variety of thread sizes. You may find them in a good hardware store too.

Or you could just get some brass rod from the local hardware, a drill, and a tap and make them whatever size you want in a couple minutes.