PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Ball

Robert Rosensteel
12-15-2010, 4:50 PM
Has anyone laser engraved or sandblasted a bowling ball? And what is a bowling ball made from? Thanks Robert

Joe Pelonio
12-15-2010, 9:22 PM
Urethane and resin, should be laser safe, but I haven't tried it and don't know how it would turn out.

Gary Hair
12-15-2010, 9:45 PM
Urethane and resin, should be laser safe, but I haven't tried it and don't know how it would turn out.

You should probably fill it after you engrave it otherwise it might go thump, thump, thump...

Andrea Weissenseel
12-16-2010, 3:50 AM
Most balls are made, like Joe wrote, of Urethane. But if the ball wasn't just for decorating purposes, I wouldn't engrave it because you probably can't play it properly anymore. Bowling balls are marked when manufactured, but they only can be marked in certain spots, which depends on their core theme - otherwise the balls running properties and characteristics will be influenced.

Andrea

Mike Null
12-16-2010, 6:00 AM
It is fairly common to engrave initials on bowling balls. They are usually rotary engraved and usually in the area of the finger holes.

They do not affect the ball. (many bowling alleys engrave their name on alley balls for obvious reasons) Sporting goods stores and bowling alleys engrave as a matter of routine.

Kenneth Hertzog
12-16-2010, 7:24 AM
Scott machine makes a bowling ball engraver just for this purpose
ken

Robert Rosensteel
12-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks everyone, the customer wanted a logo and three names but did not want to spend more than $20. So I passed on the job. Think Iam going to visit some flea markets and look for some test products,to laser and sandblast.

John Frazee
12-16-2010, 5:37 PM
I lasered on one and then color filled with gold. Looked real nice and seriously doubt the small area with thin line engraving effected anything. The lady I did it for was about 80 years old so it probably wouldn't have been noticed if it did cause a problem! I actually was happy to see her that active, I didn't even charge her.

Neil Pabia
12-16-2010, 7:26 PM
Think Iam going to visit some flea markets and look for some test products,to laser and sandblast.

Your local bowling alley may have some old or damaged balls they would be happy to give away.