PDA

View Full Version : Achieved The Impossible!

Chris Mahoney
12-15-2010, 4:04 PM
Okay, so maybe the title is a bit of an overstatement, but I posted a thread here awhile ago about engraving the word "SAMPLE" on tiny dental implant screws. The two main questions were, "Is it possible?" and "How to make a placement jig?"

Answers:

A brand-spankin-new Epilog Fibermark 20W machine is on it's way to arrive sometime this week. The Laser works great and the letters engrave perfectly!:D

Also, I've constructed a pretty flawless placement jig out of custom casted plastic. I've attached pictures of the jig.

Thanks again everyone who posted your ideas, it was a tremendous help!

Dee Gallo
12-15-2010, 4:17 PM
Congratulations on both fronts... finding a way to make your product AND getting a new toy! Have fun, dee

Martin Boekers
12-15-2010, 4:53 PM
Do you have a photo of the actual engraving?

I'm curious as to how it looks, I haven't seen much on a fibermark yet.

Keep us posted on how you like the new laser!

Thanks

paul mott
12-16-2010, 6:34 AM
Chris,

The heads of those screws look pretty knocked about are you sure they are even suitable as samples which in my opinion should really represent the finest of a manufacturers work.

Paul.

Chris Mahoney
12-16-2010, 7:28 AM
The screws in the picture are actually just "scrap" ones that I used to cast in the plastic to make perfectly threaded holes. They are aluminum samples used in different areas of the business. I've attached a picture of a screw with engraving. (this one is a bit beat up too) The laser was so precise that it even engraved downwards along the side of the screw, as seen in the picture.