PDA

View Full Version : Self adhesive felt or flocking???

Jim Hinze
01-04-2005, 2:58 PM
I'm getting ready to build the interior to the jewerly box I'm building

http://www.cryptgym.com/wood/swaps_2.JPG

and need suggestions on what to use? I'm running up to rockler after work and I know they have the flocking kits and the self adhesive felt...

Pro's, Con's?

Thanks in advance!

David Wilson
01-04-2005, 3:06 PM
Jim
I've used the used the flocking (Swade-Tex) and have had very good results. The product goes a long way in that there is no waste if you apply it in a small tent made from a garbage bag. Never used the self adhesive felt but it looks like a pain to get good results.

Jack Hogoboom
01-04-2005, 3:57 PM
Dave,

Funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. I've used the Rockler adhesive felt before with good results. Just put it on a piece of cardboard slightly smaller than the bottom of your box, insert the covered cardboard into the box and it should work like a charm. No way I'd mess with the flocking. It reminds me of the sand art stuff my kids make. Way too messy for me.

Jack

David Wilson
01-04-2005, 4:15 PM
Jack
The felt might be fine for boxes with square dimensions if you just want to line the bottom but if there are any curved areas it gets more complicated. With the suade-tex you just mask off areas you don't want to cover, paint on the adhesive and spray on the flox. I used the applicator sold with the flox. I make a tent out of a garbage bag held up by coat hanger wires, place the box to be flocked in the bottom of the tent, and spray on the flox. You want to completely cover the adhesive with flox and then add more. When dry you just tip the box over in the tent and tap on it. Any extra flox will fall off into the bag and can be reused on another project.

Michael Ballent
01-04-2005, 4:24 PM
Suede-Tex would be my suggestion :D... Someone else just asked the same question earlier today.

George Summers
01-04-2005, 4:25 PM
I'm with Dave. I love to use flocking. I don't even use a tent though, just a fairly high sided cardboard box. I might have to try the tent method.

George

Dave Carey
01-04-2005, 8:21 PM
If you are only putting the liner on the bottom of the box I've used a third method. It's a stiffened felt bought at a craft store (Michael's in this area.) It's easy to cut, lies flat and doesn't entail the mess of flocking or the awkwardness of the self stick felt (I can never get it bothe sized right and flat.)

Bob Johnson2
01-04-2005, 8:59 PM
I've used the flocking several times with no probelms encountered. It's just a bit thinner then I'd like but works fine. It's been on my wifes and daughters jewelery boxes for 20 years and has not worn through. A little messy, I but the boxes in a lg cardboard box when spraying, if that's the right word. It worked better by dumping some in the box and just shaking it around, like flouring a cake pan. Leave it all in place till the glue drys then dump the loose stuff back in the can and vac.

Joe Hultman
09-22-2006, 3:52 PM
I have used Swede-Tex in the past and found it to be an excellent product. I would like to find a source for the product. I live in Southern Maryland. Anyone know where I can purchase it, either in a store or order it? J. Hultman Retired Indurstrilal Arts Teacher of 40 yearsw.

Russ Massery
09-22-2006, 4:04 PM
I used Suede-Tex in the past. One note of advice use either two coats of the adhesive Or Seal with dewaxed shellac first. On some porus wood soak up too much of the adhesive. As other's had said spring for the applicator.

Mike Hill
09-22-2006, 4:05 PM
Jim: I have used the self adhesive felt in my first few boxes (from Michael's). You just measure, cut and stick it in. There was an excellent article in the August 2006 issue of Fine Woodworking where Emily Palm shows how she uses faux suede to line her boxes. I guess real suede tarnishes silver. Basically she gets faux suede at a fabric store and uses 2mm foam board which is sticky on one side. She uses spray contact cement on the top side, attach's the suede and then sticks it in the box. I am giving this a try on one jewelry box I built.

Mike

Steve Wargo
09-22-2006, 4:55 PM
I've used both. I've gotten good results with flocking, but there is no doubt that a well done job with felt looks, and holds up much better. You just have to take your time with the felt. That being said, I haven't used flocking in about 3 years.

Wes Bischel
09-22-2006, 6:05 PM
Jim,
I've used the flocking and it has worked out very well. I was not a believer initially since I know what goes into flocking on an industrial scale - but it has always worked spot-on. Oh, and we won't go into how bad the development meetings got when discussing the "flocking project" - we had to change the name. ;)

Joe,
Woodcraft is one place, I think I have seen it at some other online sources as well.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=288

Wes

Jim Hinze
09-22-2006, 9:08 PM
FWIW --> I've always used flocking... they have a veritable rainbow of colors.. never had a complaint from a recipient.

It's easy to apply, realitively cost-effective and produces a consistant result.

Joe Hultman
09-23-2006, 9:15 AM
Thanks Wes. I just placed an order.

Lee Schierer
09-23-2006, 12:58 PM
On the one I recently completed and posted here. I use adhesive felt from the local craft store. It was much cheaper than Rocklers and had a better selection of colors. Just make sure you get the felt the right size up front and that you locate it right the first time. The stuff I got had a super sticky adhesive and wouldn't easily come off to reposition.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
09-23-2006, 8:20 PM
I don't even use the self sticky kind. I just cut thin non couragated cardboard (like the back of a tablet of paper) to fit just a hair loose then wrap felt around it afixing it on the rear with doublestick tape. If I want a little spring to it I add the thinnest layer of quilters padding (probably 1/8 inch thick) between the felt and cardboard. This is very much like the FWW article in a recent issue.

Mac