PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Battery Tip

Steve Clardy
04-10-2003, 12:25 PM
I have all Porter Cable Cordless drills, the older 862 12 volt models. I have a couple of batteries that got to where they would not charge and the charger indicated that they were shorted out.
As these are $50.00 each to replace, I laid them back for a while before considering throwing them out. The other day I picked one of them up, getting ready to trash can it. Curiosity got the better of me, and I took one of them apart. You need a small torx bit to remove the cover. When I slide the batteries out, there was a metal clip on the bottom of them that attached 1 battery to another. There are multiple batteries in these. It was not attached, and could see where it had arced across. Looks like these battery straps are spot welded together.
Beings I have no small spot welder, or did not want to solder them as I do not know what would happen if they were heated up, I took a couple of pieces of sandpaper to put a little pressure there to keep the strap tight and laid them it the bottom of the case where this strap sits. I reattached the cover, and tried charging them. They came up full charge and are still working.
I don't know if the newer model batteries are constructed this way, but if you have one of these batteries gone bad, it may pay to see if you have this same problem with yours before you throw it out.
Steve

Bruce Page
04-10-2003, 3:04 PM
Hey Steve, thanks for the tip. I have one of these older $50 12 volts collecting dust. I think I’ll take it apart this weekend and check it out.

Steve Clardy
04-10-2003, 3:33 PM
let me know and I will email you my address so you know where to send the tip check. LOL
Steve:D :D :D

Bruce Page
04-10-2003, 9:01 PM
Originally posted by Steve Clardy
let me know and I will email you my address so you know where to send the tip check. LOL
Steve:D :D :D

Will do!

Derek Arita
04-11-2003, 1:15 PM
I was involved in the RC hobby industry for a number of years and more specifically, RC cars. Everyone in this business solders their batteries together using tabs to go from cell to cell. Yes, heat is the enemy of these cells however, if you heat up the surface just enough to cause the solder to flow, then cool the cell asap, no real damage should occur. Be sure to use a hot enough iron so that the amount of time it takes to heat the cell surface, is held to a minimum.

Steve Clardy
04-11-2003, 1:32 PM
I have 11 of these batteries. Will give your idea a shot on the next one. Thanks, Steve:D

Tony Pearson
04-13-2003, 9:42 PM
Great Tip. I think you saved me $50-$60 Bucks!

Would you expect a discovery fee? :D

Thanks, Tony

Steve Clardy
04-13-2003, 11:06 PM
are due. Glad to help someone save a buck or two. Just send someone a useful tip in return. :D :D :D
Steve