PDA

View Full Version : Knob Design Question/Help

Andrew Gibson
12-15-2010, 11:40 AM
I am getting ready to work on a project for the upcoming Florida State fair, and I want to turn the knobs for it... or find someone to help me turn them rather. I should be able to enlist the help of my woodworking club members.
my question is how practical or durable would this design I am thinking of be.
I think if it as a twist on a traditional shaker knob.
I am thinking I want to use Kingwood, but a dark piece of walnut could work.

Rick and I were thinking of getting together, but I am starting to think we may be over our heads as I know I don't have the experience to get the job done.

here is my drawing.
I am trying to think of other design ideas, but I feel like there is not a lot of different ways to turn a mushroom knob. I think the knob size should be about 1 1/4"w by about 1" to 1 1/4" or so tall

John Keeton
12-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Not that it can't be done, but that is going to be tricky with the undercut. Not much room to get in there. Pin jaws would help with access, but it is still a challenge. And, getting the little bead will be tough, too - not much room to work there either because of the overhang of the knob. You need to be able to roll that bead, or rig up a scraper edge to scrape it. That will leave you with some tough sanding, though.

Scott Hackler
12-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Andrew,

I think your design is "doable" but might prove to be a little challenging for a new turner. The reasons are from the size of a knob (smaller = more difficult, usually), the undercut lip and base detail with little wiggle room for the tool. I would suggest making one and get the "feel" for your abilities. You and only you will know if you can make these.

I could make this, but I have been turning a while and have a lot of practice with smaller items.

I encourage you to, "just do it". If you have to make a design change, so what. :)

Keep us posted, with pictures, of your progress and results.

Steve Braman
12-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Could you make it in two pieces with a little wooden "washer" like the little metal plates that sit below a lot of old brass pulls.

David DeCristoforo
12-15-2010, 12:08 PM
I would make this in two pieces. The bottom part would be like an escutcheon.

Sean Hughto
12-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Unless this is for really small and lightweight drawers I would worry about the durability of this knob. Breaks along the grain will be possible both on the lip of the knob and on the bead at the base.

Mark Hubl
12-15-2010, 12:43 PM
I agree with what has been said so far. Plus, unless these are really large knobs the undercut would never be seen or felt.

Andrew Gibson
12-15-2010, 1:00 PM
thanks for the replies all.
I know these are beyond my abilities, and my lathes abilities.
My biggest concern is the durability aspect... and the fact that the details will be most likely unnoticed unless one breaks and someone says " well that was a stupid thing to do."

The drawer sizes will be about 5" deep and ranging from about 8" to 16" wide. the piece is a shaker style 5 drawer table out of cherry and QS Sycamore.

Mark Hubl
12-15-2010, 1:31 PM
There are a couple of good articles on shaker knobs and turned pulls in FWW magazine. I think this is available on their site without being a member. http://www.finewoodworking.com/FWNPDF/011196068.pdf Also check out the article in issue #172. The hardest thing about the pulls is getting them to match. This article may help whomever you get to help you out. Good luck.

Andrew Gibson
12-15-2010, 5:03 PM
There are a couple of good articles on shaker knobs and turned pulls in FWW magazine. I think this is available on their site without being a member. http://www.finewoodworking.com/FWNPDF/011196068.pdf Also check out the article in issue #172. The hardest thing about the pulls is getting them to match. This article may help whomever you get to help you out. Good luck.

Thanks Mark. Just happen to have FWW #172. just pulled it out, giving it a look now.

Tom Wilson66
12-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Could be done fairly easily by turning between centers, with the tenon towards the tailstock. This would give good access to the undercut portion and the bead. After turning what you can with this orientation, hold the tenon in a collet chuck or Jacob's chuck to clean up the end of the knob and apply your finish.