PDA

View Full Version : PM 719T: First Impressions

Ruhi Arslan
12-15-2010, 11:30 AM
I finally ordered a 719T after deliberating for long a time with some frustrations along the way. I have initially intended to get a bench top version. Before I acted on it, the price jumped up slightly so I decided to look for a used one. During the search and wait, I came across an almost new 719T nearby and started looking at it closer. Used one was slightly more expensive so it would be a good upgrade I thought. As I searched more reading reviews, etc., it made more sense for me to go for a version that has an XY table and a tilt table as well. Although, private seller changed his mind the last second - happens to be right after the 3000h sale ended, I still wanted to get the 719T. The price difference between 719A equivalent Jet version was not substantial enough to choose that one over. A local dealer agreed to honor already expired sale price but he couldn't deliver on his promise. After three weeks, I've canceled the order. Ordered it from CPO online with free delivery. Received it in a week or so. It was well packaged on a crate. Delivery freight company called to schedule and asked how I can pay the COD. I didn't even ask how much and told them that do not even make an attempt to deliver because I will refuse the delivery unless it is cleared before they schedule. The last time I received the delivery with them, again from CPO, they said they will take care of it but continued to receive past due notices. It came to a point that I was receiving collection notices before CPO paid it on my behalf while they sort it out. This time, I was not going to allow to happen it all over again. With my luck, it would have... CPO called me to confirm in few hours that it was corrected.
Two boxes contained all. I also had the chisel set ordered, making it the third box. Putting it together was a breeze. I placed the mortiser back on its spine on a furniture dolly, lifting the base off the ground. Attached the base with four provided bolts and lifted it up. It would be advisable to have a help at that point. I was surprised to see the stand box is deeper than its width. The access door is on the side. Because the hind for the door is fixed, it seems like it is best to have it on the right hand side so it swings open back rather than to the front towards you if it were to be on the left side. Only other things to be attached are the handles for the wheels and the handle arm to move the head up and down. Access doors to the chuck is a bit "clunky". Both Xy table and the head sliders needed a slight adjustment. Head was too tight to move up and down. Very easy to adjust but you have to have your own tools. Likewise, XY table moved silky smooth front to back but not laterally. It was pretty tight and was impossible to turn the wheel with one hand. Once adjusted, it was easy and smooth. One of the wing nuts missing to hold the work piece stop limiter to the rear fence. PM mailed me a couple right away. Attaching the chisel bit set is not a big deal as long as you don't try to rush it. For some reason, I was under the impression that there would be swinging shims to leave proper gaps between the chisel and the bit but I guess I need to keep a few coins nearby. You must have the included special long neck chuck key to tighten the bit to the chuck. Don't misplace it! Thumb screw holding the chisel must be tightened with a flat head screw driver. It would have been nicer, if it had a better grip. During my first try, chisel rotated as the shavings got in between the bit and the chisel. I had to use a screw driver to tighten it. I rewired it for 230V because I could not because I needed to do so. Motor starts smooth and runs very quite unlike my HF drill press which scares my dog and neighbors dogs and cats when I run it. First piece I grabbed to test was hard maple. I've installed the MDF plate to the table and a wooden fence to the It cut through with 1/2" chisel like butter. Although I tightened the piece using built in quick release vise, when lifting the bit up, chisel pulled the work piece up. It would be nice to have a hold down bracket. You can always tighten the vise more but there may be occasions that would be possible with other than straight work pieces. Last comment is about the working height. XY table top is about four inches lower than pretty much any other surface in the shop. I made a platform to attach the base cabinet of the 719. Platform sits nested in the mobile base leveling the work piece height to the bench height I have next to 719. Once I get some use out of it, I may add more... So far, it appears to be it is worth its weight and the hefty price tag.

Paul McGaha
12-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Sounds like you are liking it so far Ruhi. Good for you.

I have had a PM-719A for a few years now and I'm perfectly happy with it.

PHM

glenn bradley
12-15-2010, 12:15 PM
OK, I'll say it; I see no machine. No pics, didn't happen ;-)

Neil Brooks
12-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Enjoy ! I'm sure it's a great tool.

What I posted, on another forum, that I got from ... some article, online, somewhere:

According to one test, a gap the thickness of a nickel—roughly 0.072” thick—results in operating temperatures roughly 40 or 50 degrees higher than if you increase that gap to 0.117” (the gap provided by the built-in spacer, on the Powermatic PM701 mortiser, used in their testing.

I have a 0.125” gage block that I will NOW use to set the gap between bit and chisel.

Kent A Bathurst
12-15-2010, 1:20 PM
......... Although I tightened the piece using built in quick release vise, when lifting the bit up, chisel pulled the work piece up. It would be nice to have a hold down bracket...........

Yeah - that happened to me also on my 719A for a while, then I figured out an answer. I already had this filled with camellia oil for planes. I put a swipe on three sides of the chisel [don't usually bother reaching around to the back side]. Works ducky. Re-swipe every 3 - 5 plunges. Makes the "lever pull force" [?] easier as well.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/ProductImages/rustcontrol/056466.jpg

Greg Portland
12-15-2010, 3:01 PM
Ken, where did you get those dispensers?

Dan Lee
12-15-2010, 3:02 PM
Although I tightened the piece using built in quick release vise, when lifting the bit up, chisel pulled the work piece up. It would be nice to have a hold down bracket. You can always tighten the vise more but there may be occasions that would be possible with other than straight work pieces. .

I have the 719A and don't have a problem with work piece staying put. Have you prepped the chisel ie polishing the outside walls and honing the inside edges?
I hone the inside edges using a honing cone and then polish the outside walls starting at 320(maybe 220 depending on how bad the machine marks are) then 600 and finally 1200 grit. Leaves a nice mirror finish.

Neil Brooks
12-15-2010, 3:43 PM
I found this article (http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/Hollow+Mortise+Chisel+Tuneup.aspx) to be helpful. It gives an easy-to-follow and effective recipe for tuning up the mortiser chisels.

Made a BIG difference, on my Grizzly, with its OEM (good enough) chisels !

Don't forget to keep the bits sharp, too.

Kent A Bathurst
12-15-2010, 3:52 PM
Ken, where did you get those dispensers?

Got mine at Highland. Ten bucks. Worth it to me.

eugene thomas
12-15-2010, 6:23 PM
I just picked up my new 719 last week,can't compare to other models of mortisers but sure beats the heck out of my drill press version use to use till the 719 arrived. even can use my grizzly bits with it. I use for first time to make bench for a friend, was really impressed with how smoot worked. do need to tune up the chisels though.