PDA

View Full Version : Gluing wood and carbon fiber sheet

Jeb Hooker
12-15-2010, 9:29 AM
I am laminating 3 pre-bent mahogany plys, each 1/16 thick, over a mold in a vacuum bag. Plan to use UltraCat from Veneer Supplies. However, there is a section where I will add two lams of thin (.014") carbon fiber sheet between the mahog. For simplicity, I'd like to use the UltraCat for whole thing. The CF is not glossy - textured on one side and rough from exposed fiber on the other - so am hoping that I'll at least get a decent mechanical bond. This section is structural, hence the CF. What do you think? Easy enuf to try it but figure y'all may save me the trouble. Thanks!

Bill Edwards(2)
12-15-2010, 9:38 AM
Is there anything here of value?

(this is a good site for fiber)

http://www.fibreglast.com/fibreglast_how_to_vacuum_bag

Jeb Hooker
12-15-2010, 9:43 AM
I'll check, Bill. Thanks.

Marty Paulus
12-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Jeb, I tend to use epoxy for this type of layup. A polyester resin (fiberglass) may also work. Of course most of my experience is marine related on this. Failure is not a option so I tend to over build.

Jeb Hooker
12-15-2010, 6:26 PM
Yes, epoxy would be fine. However, most of the job is wood to wood where the UltraCAT is ideal - thin raw wood lams, bent over a mold and glued under vacuum. Cured glue is very hard and resists heat and moisture. Maybe above the waterline, Marty. :>)

I just clamped up a small sample and put it next to the wood stove so it should cure in a couple of hours. I'll report back if anyone's interested.