PDA

View Full Version : simulated skrimshaw

Andy Joe
12-15-2010, 9:09 AM
I have a customer who wants simulated skrimshaw tile. I suggested useing white laser tile but they want it etched down and filled with ink. Has anyone tried this?

Bruce Volden
12-15-2010, 9:52 AM
I haven't tried tile but I have had good success with the bone colored solid surface materials (Corian, Avonite).

Bruce

Andy Joe
12-15-2010, 12:17 PM
cool, what type of ink do you use? my thought was using laser tape, doing the etching, then painting ink on, letting dry and pulling the tape up. Im just using the tape to keep the ink from going where i dont want it too. Also do u just use black and white line drawings then?

Dee Gallo
12-15-2010, 2:46 PM
Andy,

I do real bone and ivory engraving with color fill all the time. Attached are some pictures of simple geometric designs and a cabin portrait to show you possible ways to go. These are only 1" wide pieces.

If you engrave ceramic tile, either it should be sealed or glazed to get the best results. Bisque tiles will be a nightmare with color fill. If you send me your email address, I'll send you my tutorial on color filling which is too long to post here. But your idea of masking, engraving and spraying is a tried and true technique that would work for single color filling just fine. Just be very sure the mask is tight or you will get underspray.

If your tile is nice and shiny, it should be even easier to just rub on some black ink, shoe polish or paint, let it set up a bit and then buff off the extra, no mask required.

:) dee

Frank Corker
12-15-2010, 5:37 PM
You do really beautiful work Dee.

Dee Gallo
12-15-2010, 6:35 PM
You're my inspiration Frank!

Mike Null
12-16-2010, 6:09 AM
Dee

I, for one, would like to see your tutorial. You obviously have talent that most of us can just envy. Maybe you could post the file as a PDF.

Are those miniature dove tailed boxes?

Dan Hintz
12-16-2010, 6:25 AM
Love the cabin, Dee... very detailed, and the multi-color fill always impresses me.

With the new publishing option coming available soon, you should consider putting your tutorial there...

Steve Clarkson
12-16-2010, 7:16 AM
Dee.....those are incredible!

Jiten Patel
12-16-2010, 8:42 AM
They we so detailed. I wish I could do stuff like that. Really nice.

Dee Gallo
12-16-2010, 8:47 AM
Good idea, Dan, I'll wait for that feature and post the tutorial.

BTW everyone, those are NOT little boxes, they are solid bone on top and bamboo on the bottom. They are mah jong tiles probably made around 1920 which I engrave and paint for collectors. The ones you see here were sanded down to remove a previous design.

Most modern sets are made from acrylic now, in China. There are no more MJ manufacturers in the US even though there used to be about 20 companies at one time. Except me!

cheers, dee

Scott Shepherd
12-16-2010, 9:38 AM
Beautiful pieces Dee! Really beautiful. Did I mention they are beautiful yet? If not, they are beautiful :)

Andy Joe
12-16-2010, 3:40 PM
Those are really nice Dee. I wish i could get my hand on some to try....here i come ebay! Ok so i took the photo, opened it up in corel paint, and turned the contrast to +100 and it looked like a black and white version of what i had. I think took laser masking and covered the tile. I etched the image and then painted on stamp ink and let dry. I pull the laser masking off and it was very crisp and clear. I will try to take some pics and post them. I cant belive how cheap and easy it was. And everyone i have showed like them better then the expensive cermark or laser tile versions i have done in the past. Just for fun im going to do the handgrips for my .44 and see how detailed i can get on a radius