PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Ceiling Fans

Tom Winship
12-15-2010, 8:19 AM
We have several Hunter ceiling fans and have one in the bedroom that I just can't seem to get balanced. Tried the weight(s) and all seems well until about 2 o'clock in the AM when it starts knocking. These fans are probably 15 years old and have worked great over the years.
Any suggestions?

Tom Winship
12-15-2010, 10:24 AM
I see 23 of you who have viewed but not responded must have had the same experience. I might have just fixed it............................. (I hope, I hope, I hope). I am about ready to hang a 10 pound weight from it. Probably won't budge off center then.

Rick Prosser
12-15-2010, 11:20 AM
I have never balanced any of my fans. They all have a slight wobble, but are consistent - never get worse at 2 am that I am aware of.
What would be causing a change at 2AM ?

Charlie Reals
12-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I have never balanced any of my fans. They all have a slight wobble, but are consistent - never get worse at 2 am that I am aware of.
What would be causing a change at 2AM ?
I could think of several things;) butt maybe they changed the schedule on the UP fast line.How close does Tom live to the rail yard?:)

Tom Winship
12-15-2010, 12:11 PM
It actually changes at all times. I live probably five miles from the nearest rail. Just seems like sometimes it wakes you when you are really cutting zz's. We have ceiling fans in every room. The ones who have lights on them don't wobble, the others do. Guess I could remove the bottom plate at put lead in it.

John Pratt
12-15-2010, 12:15 PM
How bout checking that the scews holding the blades are not working loose? Just guessing

Bruce Koch
12-15-2010, 12:35 PM
My son had a problem with his and it was caused by electrical box that wasn't level. Leveled it and no more wobble. It sounds like some screws are loose someplace.

Tom Winship
12-15-2010, 1:13 PM
John, they were loose at one point. Tightened them and didn't make a lot of difference. Think I've got it now.

How bout checking that the scews holding the blades are not working loose? Just guessing

David G Baker
12-15-2010, 1:21 PM
I am a serious believer in ceiling fans. I have four in my home now. I have found the secret to balancing ceiling fans, buy ceiling huggers. I have never had good luck with balancing ceiling fans that are not ceiling huggers. I have spent hours trying every trick in the book and some that didn't make the book to balance them, to no avail. Never thought about the electric box not being level. In most cases the ceiling mounting plate is square with the ceiling but I have never checked the ceiling for level. Next time I buy a non hugger I will check the ceiling for level prior to buying the fan.

Ted Calver
12-15-2010, 4:01 PM
Make sure the tops are dusted. We had one start to wobble and dusting cleared the problem.

Larry Killebrew
12-15-2010, 11:25 PM
I am a newby on this forum... but this is something I can help with. As an electrician of 30+ years I have probably hung thousands of ceiling fans. Cheap ones, huggers, hunters, casa blancas, and worked with a ton of industrial fans.

Getting the wobble out is very simple, it does NOT involve gluing quarters to the blades etc. What causes the wobble is wind turbulance as the fan blade tracks around its orbit. The easiest way is to correct wobble is to insure all the blades are the same distance from the ceiling and traking in the same plane. If they are within an 1/8th of an inch of each other, the fan will not wobble... I guarantee it.

1.) Hold a folding rule, yard stick, tape up to the end of the blade at a point on the ceiling, slowly rotate the blades around taking note of the different heights of each blade.
2.) Grasp the mounting bracket and gently but firmly bend up or down. Go easy, it doesnt take much to break it. remeasure and readjust until you get them close.
3.) Turn the fan on and observe the wobble if any.

I suppose you could check the pitch of the blades for super accuracy. I dont, getting them tracking on the same plane fixes it... every time.

If this doesnt work, then for a nominal fee... just kidding. You wont be calling, it will work.
Larry Killebrew

Ted Shrader
12-16-2010, 1:44 PM
I am a newby on this forum... First, Welcome, Larry. Your solutions are what I was going to give as a recommendation. It works.

Tom - After you get the blades running in the same plane, check the pitch of each blade (think airplane propeller) to make sure each one is pulling/pushing the same amount of air.

Regards,
Ted

Tom Winship
12-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Larry/Ted, though I had it, but at 2:00 this morning it woke me up. I will now do Larry's guaranteed fix and see how that works. Larry, if it doesn't, how far are you from CS, Tx?
Thanks, guys.

Harvey M. Taylor
12-17-2010, 2:12 PM
You could narrow the problem down by removing two opposing blades. if wobbling continues, replace and remove the other two.If it still wobbles, you are on your own, try the other remedies. Max

Tom Esh
12-17-2010, 10:50 PM
I'd agree balancing is the solution. As for the 2AM mystery I'd suspect something is effecting the motor speed which just makes things more obvious, especially if the fan uses electronic or variable speed control (vs separate windings):
1) Voltage. 2AM would be about right for minimum load on the grid and max line voltage. Fan speed contols and light dimmers are notorious for being sensitive to even a fraction of a volt.
2) Temperature. If you set back your thermostat at night, 2AM may just be the time the temp reaches minimum.

David Freed
12-18-2010, 7:02 AM
I suppose this further exposes my redneck tendencies, but I always used gray tape to balance a ceiling fan. I would bring a crayon or piece of chalk closer to the fan until it touched the blade that was swinging out farther than the others, then shut it off and put a piece of tape on top where you can't see it. Wipe off the mark and repeat until it doesn't wobble any more.

Rick Moyer
12-18-2010, 4:33 PM
Larry/Ted, though I had it, but at 2:00 this morning it woke me up. I will now do Larry's guaranteed fix and see how that works. Larry, if it doesn't, how far are you from CS, Tx?
Thanks, guys.
Tom must still be sleeping under his no-wobble fan.:)