PDA

View Full Version : WOW! That's good carpet spot remover...

Phil Thien
12-14-2010, 10:20 PM
I got a 30-gallon steel drum. The paint was in BAD shape. I had primer, I had paint. I had just finished a 24" diameter lazy Susan for finishing, so figured I'd paint the drum.

I took it into work because I didn't want to stink the house up. At work I can open the back door and the front door and I get this natural ventilation that works great. For this reason I typically do my finishing at the shop on weekends.

The primer coat went perfectly.

The first coat of black went perfectly.

On the 2nd coat of black the nozzle/can interface malfunctioned and the can started dripping paint.

I didn't realize it until I had moved to the area beyond the drop cloth. Big drops 1"+ around of black paint on the carpet. About eight of them.

I threw some nail polish remover on the stain, but it only removed about half the paint.

I tried some actual carpet stain remover (can't remember the brand). It didn't improve things.

I left it like it was and figured I'd come back to it when I had some time.

So a couple of days later I did some research and discovered that many people agreed that this stuff works wonders. Especially the stuff in the aerosol can, not the pump:

http://www.spotshot.com/

All I can say it holy smokes! I sprayed it on the carpeting, let it sit for a couple minutes, then dabbed it up. Lots of paint was coming up on the rag.

So I did it again. I could barely see any signs of stain left.

So I got paper towels and used my feet to squeeze the rest of the Spot Shot out of the carpeting.

Next morning the spot was completely dry, and the stain is completely gone.

That was black spray paint on carpeting. Dried for days. Nothing should have gotten that out. Not that easily.

Did not leave a ring or anything. My wife, seeing both before and after, was stunned, and has taken the can for use at home.