PDA

View Full Version : New SawmillCreek Server

Aaron Koehl
01-04-2005, 11:43 AM
New Server!!

As of yesterday, we're kicking off the new year with a new SawmillCreek server.
Hitting a new high yesterday of 199 members online, and with over 230 new members having joined this past month, there is definitely no time like the present!

Enjoy surfing the new Creek!

Dennis Peacock
01-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Congrats Aaron for a job well done. You and Keith do very fine server work. :D

Mark Singer
01-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Aaron,

Thanks!! It seems to be running great!

Frank Pellow
01-04-2005, 11:53 AM
New Server!!

As of yesterday, we're kicking off the new year with a new SawmillCreek server.
Hitting a new high yesterday of 199 members online, and with over 230 new members having joined this past month, there is definitely no time like the present!

Enjoy surfing the new Creek!
Well done Aaron. You say 199 but the note at the bottom of Saw Mill Creek home page says 295. Which is correct?

John M. Cioffi
01-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Thank you Aaron.
You guys sure make life good at the Creek!!:cool: :) :D
John

John Miliunas
01-04-2005, 1:41 PM
Many thanks for everyone's efforts in getting that new server deployed!:) You guys flat-out rock! It's been a pleasure watching this wonderful place grow!:) :cool:

Tyler Howell
01-04-2005, 2:37 PM
Thanks Guys,

Well Done.

Aaron Koehl
01-04-2005, 3:23 PM
Well done Aaron. You say 199 but the note at the bottom of Saw Mill Creek home page says 295. Which is correct?199 is correct- the 295 value was incorrectly calculated right after the system migration yesterday (the system times didn't match up). We were hovering at 195 today, it won't be long before we break 200!

With that said, there was no slowdown under the heavy load today (very nice), and the server metrics are running well below capacity.

Ken Leshner
01-04-2005, 7:27 PM
How about some specs for us IT guys - CPU, disk, OS, NOS, TP lines, etc.

Ted Calver
01-04-2005, 8:02 PM
Thanks!! I noticed much faster uploads yesterday and wondered if you had put the new machine on line. Congratulations to all who keep the waters flowing!!
Ted

Neil Clemmons
01-04-2005, 8:31 PM
Performance is definitely improved from what I can see.

Thanks for investing in this free service that fosters such a great community of passionate woodworkers. We all appreciate it.

Neil

Joe Mioux
01-04-2005, 8:39 PM
Aaron, Keith et al. Congratulations on the new server and thank you for spearheading such a great website. As a small businessman, I am always looking at costs.

What does all this cost and how is it paid?

Again thank you for your expertise.

Joe

Jim Becker
01-04-2005, 8:58 PM
Congratulations on this next step for SMC!! Hopefully, the new server will better support the constantly growing membership as well as those that "tend to post frequently"... :D :D :D :eek:

Keith Outten
01-04-2005, 9:03 PM
We appreciate the kind words but we should remind everyone that the sales of SawMill Creek hats and the generous donations of several of our members made the purchase of the components possible, Ray Koehl built the server and installed the operating system and assisted Aaron in transfering "The Creek" to the new server.

Jackie and Ray squeezed every bit of the 900 dollar budget and found the best prices on all the new gear so the new server is the result of a large group of our members helping us to "Git Er Done" :) :) :)

Thanks to all of you, Members and Staff, for your help, we appreciate your participating in the new server project. I would also like to publicly thank "Those who post frequently" for contributing their time and knowledge of woodworking which is really why we all gather here at The Creek.

Don Selke
01-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Congratulations for a great job Aaron and Keith. Saw Mill Creek is a great place for woodworkers to hang there hat.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-05-2005, 8:20 AM
Thanks a lot to all of the behind the scenes people at Saw Mill Creek. I used to surf a lot more message boards daily. However, lately I have found that I rarely stray from the creek! The members and admins here are by far the best that I have seen!

Great job to all!

Aaron Koehl
01-05-2005, 8:39 AM
How about some specs for us IT guys - CPU, disk, OS, NOS, TP lines, etc.An Athlon XP 2600, MSI motherboard, 4 disk SCSI RAID, 1GB RAM and a host of enhancements by Ray. I still have some software performance enhancements up my sleeve, but it's already running like a truck.

SawmillCreek is owned and operated by Hampton Roads Online (www.hroads.net (http://www.hroads.net)), and is paid for by donations and sales of hats. Additionally, it's paid for by our web hosting customers.. so any of you with websites...;)

Kelly C. Hanna
01-05-2005, 9:16 AM
Congrats on a job well done! It's working nicely!!

Christopher Pine
01-05-2005, 9:56 AM
I was wondeing why I could not get on the site the other day.. like a an addiction... was shaking because it would not let me open SMC.. :)
Looks like the transition went well and all is working! Thankyou for all of your hard work!

Chris

Ellen Benkin
01-05-2005, 1:10 PM
Thanks for a job well done. Maybe that's why I seem to have left my time warp and I'm now getting current listings without having to go through "new posts".

Aaron Koehl
01-06-2005, 9:44 AM
Just thought I'd add..

Now that the database cache has populated, this server is really trucking!

Chris Padilla
01-06-2005, 10:25 AM
...but it's already running like a truck...
Hmmm, not to take away anything from the new server (it is AWESOME), but if you can get the site running like a BMW or Porsche, well, then.....hehehe :D

John Miliunas
01-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Hmmm, not to take away anything from the new server (it is AWESOME), but if you can get the site running like a BMW or Porsche, well, then.....hehehe :D
....or a Mercedes! Oh, wait: Mercedes DOES have TRUCKS!:D

Yup, we're cruisin' now! All we need now is the ability to post more than 5 pics in a post (for the more detailed projects) and it would *really* be truckin' 1st class!:) :cool:

Aaron Koehl
01-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Yes, but..

A truck can carry a much heavier load than a sports car.. which is really what we're after ;)

Frank Pellow
01-06-2005, 12:51 PM
....or a Mercedes! Oh, wait: Mercedes DOES have TRUCKS!:D

Yup, we're cruisin' now! All we need now is the ability to post more than 5 pics in a post (for the more detailed projects) and it would *really* be truckin' 1st class!:) :cool:
What I would like is the ability to intermix pictures and text. :) :)

Keith Outten
01-06-2005, 8:19 PM
Frank,

I agree and I hope that the next version of vBulletin will allow us to have complete control over text and pictures. We selected vBulletin for SMC because their programing staff is innovative and they have such a large user base. I have no doubt that their next software upgrade will be as fantastic as the last and offer us more really cool goodies for our Forums.

Dale Thompson
01-06-2005, 10:01 PM
All we need now is the ability to post more than 5 pics in a post (for the more detailed projects) and it would *really* be truckin' 1st class!:) :cool:

Hey Spring,
How many pictures do you need of that bathroom mirror hanging project? I get it - you want all of the servants to pose individually. I'm not sure that even the NEW server can get you over 75 pics. :D ;)

I'm glad to hear about the new server. My 'puter was crashed a couple of days ago. Format the c: drive!! :eek: :eek: Anyway, I couldn't get back on and I naturally thought that you and the rest of my SMC "friends" had voted me "off the Pond". Well, bud, your vote was apparently in the minority because, "I'M BAAACCKK!!". I guess it just goes to show that the majority is not always right!! :cool:

If you scream for a recount, please do it on the OT Forum. For what it's worth, I sympathize with your concerns. ;) :)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
01-06-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm glad to hear about the new server. My 'puter was crashed a couple of days ago. Format the c: drive!! :eek: :eek: Anyway, I couldn't get back on
Yeah, well even Microsoft quit doing support for Windows 95! Now, if you'd get rid of the old 386 and get yourself a real machine, you might be able to keep up! You're gonna' need more than 16MB of RAM, too, so loosen up those purse strings there, Pesh!:D :) :cool:

Jim Becker
01-07-2005, 8:34 AM
Keith and Aaron, on the picture support thing, something even more important than supporting more pictures in a post and interlieving them with text is the ability to reuse ones already on the server easily. Currently, when one wants to use the same picture over, the system refuses...good, in that it saves the space, but many folks end up manipulating one or more pixels to "fix" that, which results in more space being used. If it's programatically possible, it would be great if the system would just recognize that it has the file on hand and just use the copy in the database in the new post. Repeat display of photos is sometimes convenient or necessary to effectively illustrate something. If we can do that transparently without busting the drive space, it would be even better. Transparency is important as many folks don't have the knowledge to do fancy linking, etc.

Ken Salisbury
01-07-2005, 8:55 AM
Keith and Aaron, on the picture support thing, something even more important than supporting more pictures in a post and interlieving them with text is the ability to reuse ones already on the server easily. Currently, when one wants to use the same picture over, the system refuses...good, in that it saves the space, but many folks end up manipulating one or more pixels to "fix" that, which results in more space being used. If it's programatically possible, it would be great if the system would just recognize that it has the file on hand and just use the copy in the database in the new post. Repeat display of photos is sometimes convenient or necessary to effectively illustrate something. If we can do that transparently without busting the drive space, it would be even better. Transparency is important as many folks don't have the knowledge to do fancy linking, etc.

I WHOLEHEARTLY CONCUR ! ! ! !

even if it does mean I have to agree with Jim :)

Jim Becker
01-07-2005, 8:57 AM
I WHOLEHEARTLY CONCUR ! ! ! !

even if it does mean I have to agree with Jim :)

Ken, I'm only "disagreeable" when I have a raging head cold...which thankfully is waning "as we speak"... :p

Aaron Koehl
01-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Sounds like a good idea, but, it would create multiple dependencies between posts, which would require really reworking the post/thread deletion code (with reference counting, etc). I'm hesitant to make too many custom changes to the code while vBulletin is releasing so quickly. I will make note, however.